My dropbox has been encrypted by an outsider - help!
Posted on 2014-12-05
I put some of my photos and files onto dropbox about a year ago. Two weeks ago I noticed a pop up Notepad message when I booted up my computer (which freezes every so often and needs rebooting).
I never read the message until I tried to access a file from dropbox and found that all of the filres there are now encrypted.
Here is the text of the notepad message. How serious is this? Of course I have not replied.
All your documents, photos, databases and other important personal files
were encrypted using strong RSA-1024 algorithm with a unique key.
If you want to restore your files please follow the instructions:
1. Send email to email@example.com, with the following files in attachment:
- FILE1.BIN and FILE2.BIN files (check your desktop
and local disks to find these files or just use Windows Search.
- One of your encrypted personal file for test decryption.
Supported types: DOC/DOCX, JPG/JPEG, PDF. Maximum file size: 3 Mb.
2. Wait for email from us containing:
- Your decrypted file, prooving that we can really help you.
- Decryption price and payment details.
3. Make payment.
4. Recieve decryption key and detailed instructions how to decrypt your files.
- You must contact us in 24 hours (from 17/11/2014 22:46), unless the price will rise.
- Nobody can help you except us. It is useless to reinstall Windows, rename files, etc.
- Your files will be decrypted as quick as you contact us and make payment.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org.