Solved

OWA 2007 Quit Working after SP3 #CU14 installation

Posted on 2014-12-07
10
169 Views
Last Modified: 2014-12-27
Just installed Exchange 2007 SP3 CU#14 and OWA quit working. It doesn't work at the server, from a workstation within the local network or outside the network. when I enter:

https://mail.<domain>.com.owa I get: https://mail.<domain>.com/owa/auth/logon.aspx?url=https://mail.<domain>.com/owa/%3Fae=Folder%26t=IPF.Note%26id=LgAAAADxK4Ljl%252bqJS4SzoYlmmxCxAQAbf8M3kUhZSIK7yPsGBoJdAABEr8XzAAAB%26slUsng=0%26pg=1&reason=0

That's it. No logon screen or nothing.

I'm attempting to uninstall CU14 to see if that restores the OWA functionality.
0
Comment
Question by:abustraan
  • 7
  • 3
10 Comments
 
LVL 8

Expert Comment

by:tshearon
ID: 40485285
Shouldn't you be entering /owa and not .owa? Also, can you use https://your_cas_server/owa and get a logon page? What steps have you taken so far so we don't repeat ourselves?
0
 

Author Comment

by:abustraan
ID: 40485289
Sorry for the mistype yes I am entering https://mail.<domain>.com/owa.

I've tried https://<server>/owa
I've tried https://<serverip>/owa
I've tried https://<server.domain.local>/owa
I've tried https://<server.domain.com>/owa

Just finished uninstalling CU14 and OWA is functioning.
0
 

Author Comment

by:abustraan
ID: 40485291
Here's Update OWA log from the installation of CU#14

[02:38:32] ***********************************************
[02:38:32] * UpdateOwa.ps1: 12/7/2014 2:38:32 AM
[02:38:34] Updating OWA on server <Server>
[02:38:34] Finding OWA install path on the filesystem
[02:38:34] Updating OWA to version 8.3.379.2
[02:38:34] Copying files from 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\Current' to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\ClientAccess\owa\8.3.379.2'
[02:38:35] Getting all Exchange 2007 OWA virtual directories
[02:38:35] Found 1 OWA virtual directories.
[02:38:35] Updating OWA virtual directories
[02:38:37] Processing virtual directory with metabase path 'IIS://<Server>.domain.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'.
[02:38:37] Creating metabase entry IIS://<server>.<domain>.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.3.379.2.
[02:38:37] Configuring metabase entry 'IIS://<server>.<domain>.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.3.379.2'.
[02:38:37] Saving changes to 'IIS://<server>.<domain>.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa/8.3.379.2'
[02:38:37] Saving changes to 'IIS://<server>.<domain>.local/W3SVC/1/ROOT/owa'
0
Best Practices: Disaster Recovery Testing

Besides backup, any IT division should have a disaster recovery plan. You will find a few tips below relating to the development of such a plan and to what issues one should pay special attention in the course of backup planning.

 

Author Comment

by:abustraan
ID: 40485294
In searching for a resolution I came across this:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=24576&page=2

It talks about enabling anonymous access to OWA in IIS and the check box is indeed "unchecked". However, it was unchecked prior to CU#14 and OWA works. Should I enable that, and what would be the downside to that?
0
 

Author Comment

by:abustraan
ID: 40485357
Grrrrr..... reinstalled CU#14 to try the suggestion about the Anonymous Permission and OWA is working....
0
 
LVL 8

Expert Comment

by:tshearon
ID: 40485477
Permissions are usually the cause of most IIS error after updates. Usually the OWA and the EWS need to be checked for that. I always do as I find it sometimes gets reset.
0
 

Author Comment

by:abustraan
ID: 40485489
Thing of it is, I didn't have to change the permissions. The Anonymous check box is still unchecked.
0
 
LVL 8

Expert Comment

by:tshearon
ID: 40485505
Yeah sometimes though I have even had to check then recheck the authentication types I wasn't using or vice versa to get things where they should have been back in 2007 version. Not as much in 2010, but I do find that it changes some of the permissions I had set back to default whenever I did service pack updates. It is usually pretty easy to troubleshoot the changed permission issue in 2010, 2007 is harder to troubleshoot though since things look right but aren't working. Rollup updates never have caused me any issues with permissions in 2010. So I've been lucky there.

Anyway, glad you got it fixed.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
abustraan earned 0 total points
ID: 40513799
I resolved my own issue by uninstalling and reinstalling the CU 14 update. Permissions didn't have to be changed.
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:abustraan
ID: 40519473
If all else fails, undo recent changes, if possible, and attempt to recreate the problem and determine what actually caused the problem,
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: SSL Checker

Scans your site and returns information about your SSL implementation and certificate. Helpful for debugging and validating your SSL configuration.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

We are happy to announce a brand new addition to our line of acclaimed email signature management products – CodeTwo Email Signatures for Office 365.
Read this checklist to learn more about the 15 things you should never include in an email signature.
In this video we show how to create a Contact in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.: First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Recipients >> Contact ta…
This video discusses moving either the default database or any database to a new volume.

828 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question