Solved

Upgrading to Exchange 2013 STD on-premise. redirecting issues. DAG

Posted on 2014-12-07
4
129 Views
Last Modified: 2014-12-11
I'm in the process of upgrading from Exchange 2010 STD to four Exchange 2013 STD servers. I'll be moving mailboxes to the new servers, as well as configuring DAG, High availability and Site Resilience. I made a few test mailboxes on both the current and new server. I was able to move the mailboxes from the current server to the new server with out any issues. Sending and receiving messages from the new server is working but I noticed if I attempt to access the mailboxes on the new server using OWA or Active Sync (Mobile device), it fails to work.  A couple of questions. One, how can I access the mailboxes on the new server while I migrate the remaining mailboxes from the exchange 2010 server? I'm trying to eliminate as much down time as possible for users that access their mailboxes from mobile devices. Two, I was thinking about migrating the mailboxes to two separate exchange 2013 servers. Is this even possible or a good practice, since I'm only able to access mailboxes (via OWA and Mobile Devices) that are currently on my exchange 2010 server? I know I can resolve these issues if I move them all at once (which will take a good weekend), and update my firewall to route OWA, SMTP traffic to the new server. I'm trying to avoid putting all my mailboxes in on one database and server. I understand exchange standard allow me to create 5 databases. But will the databases created for DAG use up the database mounts? I new to DAG, so I'll do my best to answer any additional questions. Thank you for your time.
0
Comment
Question by:Domenic DiPasquale
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 63

Assisted Solution

by:Simon Butler (Sembee)
Simon Butler (Sembee) earned 333 total points
ID: 40486452
How are you doing your coexistence?
What you should be doing is have all traffic go to Exchange 2013. No external URL configured on the Exchange 2010 ActiveSync virtual directory, which will force Exchange to proxy the traffic.
For OWA, you will need to have a separate legacy URL configured, with the two virtual directories otherwise identical. That way if a user connects to the Exchange 2013 OWA and their mailbox is on Exchange 2010, then they are redirected to the correct version of OWA automatically.

In a DAG, you need to treat the number of databases in standard edition as the maximum you can have across the entire DAG, as it could mean in the event of a failure that all databases are mounted on the same server.
Furthermore, Active/Active rarely works unless you have three servers, particularly if you are trying to support two physical sites. The best practise in that scenario is to have a single DAG per physical site, one active and one passive (on another site).

Simon.
0
 

Author Comment

by:Domenic DiPasquale
ID: 40487022
My current configuration is all traffic going to the Exchange 2010 server. I was hoping I could get exchange 2010 to redirect users to their mailboxes that will at some point be moved to the exchange 2013 server. But I will try the configuration you recommended. As for the DAG configuration, I still need to work with my team on how we're going to configure the active, passive, and lagged databases. I'll follow up on this thread once I've made the changes to the virtual directories.
0
 
LVL 63

Accepted Solution

by:
Simon Butler (Sembee) earned 333 total points
ID: 40487212
No one is interested in lagged databases in my experience. I have deployed a lot of DAG platforms and not one of them has had a lagged database. It comes up in the design and is very quickly dismissed, as there is little point.

Exchange is always more successful at downgrading, rather than upgrading - so having the traffic point to Exchange 2013 and then redirect to Exchange 2010. By taking your existing URL and moving it to Exchange 2013 and creating a new legacy URL for Exchange 2010, you don't have to worry about mobile devices being reconfigured. Autodiscover with mobile devices is very unreliable, so the most effective way is to not require it at all.

If you read the coexistence documentation on TechNet you will find that is the recommended path from Microsoft as well.

Simon.
0
 
LVL 5

Assisted Solution

by:John Christopher
John Christopher earned 167 total points
ID: 40489061
0

Featured Post

Salesforce Made Easy to Use

On-screen guidance at the moment of need enables you & your employees to focus on the core, you can now boost your adoption rates swiftly and simply with one easy tool.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

In-place Upgrading Dirsync to Azure AD Connect
After hours on line I found a solution which pointed to the inherited Active Directory permissions . You have to give/allow permissions to the "Exchange trusted subsystem" for the user in the Active Directory...
In this Micro Video tutorial you will learn the basics about Database Availability Groups and How to configure one using a live Exchange Server Environment. The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability grou…
To add imagery to an HTML email signature, you have two options available to you. You can either add a logo/image by embedding it directly into the signature or hosting it externally and linking to it. The vast majority of email clients display l…

738 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question