Configure 7048 two switches with teaming
Posted on 2014-12-13
We have two Dell PowerConnect 7048 switches. We have 6 dell r710s with multiple NICs and we would like to configure these switches for redundancy on my public network. My private network, for my SAN traffic is fine and is configured appropriately.
We put both switches in place and teamed the Nics on the servers. Everything in the default vlan works, but no traffic between vlans will communicate. We have several VLANs created in the firewall and our virtual machines are members of certain vlans. The hyper visors are all part of our default vlan, vlan10.
can anyone tell me how to configure these switches to work? I have the following questions:
1. do we have to enable tagging at the firewall level vlan? when I did enable tagging it made no difference.
2. do we have to create each vlan on the switch?
3. if so we will have to use tagging as the devices on the specific vlans are not physical and therefore are not connecting to physical port.
4. We will need communication between the vlans.
Currenlty we have an unmanaged switch in place, just a cheap netgear switch and everything works fine. Once we IP the switch and plug into it, only the default vlan communicates.
5. the switches are currently connected but we are not using a LAG. should we connect the two switches?
the idea is to team the nics for the public traffic so if we hve a switch failure, we are OK. One network interface from server 1 in switch 1 and the second interface in switch 2.
The reason we had the switches connected is because some of the devices do not have multiple nics.
any help would be greatly appreciated