I am trying to setup a server failure recovery strategy.
How does it sound?
1. I will use multiple A records pointing the same address to 2 different servers (see the discussion here: http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/10927/using-multiple-a-records-for-my-domain-do-web-browsers-ever-try-more-than-one
2. At normal conditions the server B forwards the traffic to server A programmatically to avoid any problem of multi A records
3. Server B checks if Server A runs good. If B sees that A is not running then stops forwarding the traffic.
4. Server B also starts triggering a page at server A to stop it to avoid temporary recoveries (eg. every 5 seconds server B requests the page: IP_of_server_A/stoprunning
5. Thanks to multi A records the browser will forward the requests to B when A is not running.