Solved

SBS 2003 Received Messages Not Showing in Users Inbox

Posted on 2014-12-17
5
104 Views
Last Modified: 2014-12-23
I recently had to restore an SBS 2003 Server after a RAID failure from backup. The server is up and running fine on a new hard drive after restore, but there is a strange issue with users receiving mail. The outside spam filter shows the messages are being delivered to the server however users are unable to actually receive the messages into their outlook client.

When I first started working on the issue, the users would still receive the message on their iPhone's. After working on it for a bit, I got them to start receiving messages on their iPhones and their Outlook clients, but the Outlook client was still missing the messages that were on their iPhone, but not in Outlook. We let the minor problem slide as they could just forward the message missing from their iPhone back to themselves to get it into Outlook.

A day went by and now they are not receiving messages on either their iPhone or their Outlook. It appears 1 user is working though. Any ideas?
0
Comment
Question by:tc6atim
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
5 Comments
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:tc6atim
ID: 40505022
As another note, I did notice that the "Local Delivery" folder under Queues in System Manager is in the retry state.
0
 
LVL 10

Expert Comment

by:tmoore1962
ID: 40505238
Are the Iphones Exchange / Pop or IMAP accts??   If configured as Pop (unless configured to leave copy on server) once the msg delivered there it won't be on server for the Outlook acct. Have you run the msg flow diagnostics ?  How old was the backup? Was there an update done to the outside Spam Filter connection that occurred after the date of the backup? Have you enabled msg tracking in exchange?  If so you should be able to track the incoming messages in exchange.  Verified that all exchange services are starting on server.
0
 
LVL 3

Author Comment

by:tc6atim
ID: 40505621
The problem seems to be something along the line of what is mentioned in this KB article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828938

It was a very current backup.. The backup from the night prior to the incident.

Accounts are activesync.
0
 
LVL 3

Accepted Solution

by:
tc6atim earned 0 total points
ID: 40507319
Tried calling Microsoft and gave up on trying to resolve this issue when they would not support the product anymore.

Exporting PST's and moving to Office 365 was quicker and cheaper to perform.
0
 
LVL 3

Author Closing Comment

by:tc6atim
ID: 40514592
Other suggestions did not lead to resolution.
0

Featured Post

MIM Survival Guide for Service Desk Managers

Major incidents can send mastered service desk processes into disorder. Systems and tools produce the data needed to resolve these incidents, but your challenge is getting that information to the right people fast. Check out the Survival Guide and begin bringing order to chaos.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Scenerio: You have a server running Server 2003 and have applied a retail pack of Terminal Server Licenses.  You want to change servers or your server has crashed and you need to reapply the Terminal Server Licenses. When you enter the 16-digit lic…
Learn about cloud computing and its benefits for small business owners.
In a recent question (https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/29004105/Run-AutoHotkey-script-directly-from-Notepad.html) here at Experts Exchange, a member asked how to run an AutoHotkey script (.AHK) directly from Notepad++ (aka NPP). This video…

752 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question