Sharepoint Server Site Restore Issue

Posted on 2014-12-18
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2014-12-22
Having an issue with a couple Sharepoint sites...

Had a server crash and the only recent Sharepoint backup was the Site Collection backups. I've been able to recover most sites using the stsadm command, but having an issue with 2 of the Sites restoring.

The error received is:
"One or more files in the restored site collection will exceed the maximum supported path length. Please select a shorter destination site address and try again."

These 2 sites are the largest and most used on the site and are 20+ GB and 40+ GB respectively.

Some of the things I've seen online relate to some contents in the site exceeding the 250 character limit and causing the restore to flake out.

I've been on with Microsoft for the last 4 days and would appreciate any assistance.
Maybe someone has run into an issue like this before.
Maybe someone knows of a tool that can truncate file lengths the file paths in the created .dat file.

I'm pretty desperate. Would give 1000 points if I could...  

OS Version: Server 2008 R2
Software: Sharepoint Server 2007
Question by:IAmDH
LVL 15

Accepted Solution

colly92002 earned 2000 total points
ID: 40509141
Sharepoint has a 260 character limit on paths (URLs).   You probably have either deep folder structure or very long file names that are going above this limit somewhere.
I suspect you are restoring the site collection to a root path that is not the same as it was backed up from?  

Try restoring to the shortest possible location (path wise) that you can.

As a suggestion to get the smallest possible root path, I would suggest you create a test web app, and restore one of the site collections to the ROOT of that web app.  This will give you the smallest "root" URL possible,i.e. the root will become something like:

rather than say:

This will save you characters.  If that restores you can either keep the site collection here, or search the content db for long paths and fix them, back it up again, and restore it where you want it.

Note you can use AAM and DNS to give the webapp a nicer name than http://server:port

Author Closing Comment

ID: 40512802
That's exactly what I ended up doing, but just wanted to be sure that was the only option... no one has given any alternate solutions.

Featured Post

Simplify Active Directory Administration

Administration of Active Directory does not have to be hard.  Too often what should be a simple task is made more difficult than it needs to be.The solution?  Hyena from SystemTools Software.  With ease-of-use as well as powerful importing and bulk updating capabilities.

Question has a verified solution.

Are you are experiencing a similar issue? Get a personalized answer when you ask a related question.

Have a better answer? Share it in a comment.

Join & Write a Comment

A while back, I ran into a situation where I was trying to use the calculated columns feature in SharePoint 2013 to do some simple math using values in two lists. Between certain data types not being accessible, and also with trying to make a one to…
Resolving an irritating Remote Desktop connection that stops your saved credentials from being used.
This tutorial will walk an individual through locating and launching the BEUtility application and how to execute it on the appropriate database. Log onto the server running the Backup Exec database. In a larger environment, this would generally be …
This tutorial will show how to configure a single USB drive with a separate folder for each day of the week. This will allow each of the backups to be kept separate preventing the previous day’s backup from being overwritten. The USB drive must be s…

624 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question