Question about carbon monoxide poisoning
Posted on 2014-12-27
Obviously, I will contact my propane dealer and some experts. Just thought what anyone may know here.
All started with my CO detector going off in my bedroom. I opened some doors, and it stopped, and I went back to bed. The following day, I put detectors in the basement at least 20 feet and 30 feet away from the furnace. This is a one-year-old, on demand, propane furnace. These went off non-stop. From my understanding of these Kidde detectors, the ppm of CO must be at least 30 if not 70. It does take up to an hour for them to go off even at those levels.
I have five very good infrared heaters, which I turned on and kept the house warm meaning the furnace did not run at all except for showers.
I purchased an extremely good $500 UEi portable analyzer. I ran the heat again, and when I came home from work (I used the analyzer to make sure the house was safe) and had detectors with digital readout and carbon monoxide maximum readings recorded in from between me and the basement door. In other words, I wasn't walking blindly into a house with a crazy 3,000 ppm level (which is deadly).
I opened the door to the basement using my analyzer, which instantly jumped to 42. I walked down slowly to the monitor below which showed a COM of 101. Certainly, not deadly if around it for short amounts of time, but a level I would think you would want to know about. I went to the furnance, and the analyzer picked up around 90, and I couldn't find a source (something I know I am not an expert in and shouldn't be doing). I went all the way to the PVC exhaust.
I guess an issue is not only did this CO make it up to my bedroom two floors above, my cleaning people do my laundry in the basement. My guess is they put in a load of laundry, then return to the upper floors, but I have no idea. Maybe they stay there washing, drying and folding for an hour. That can't be good.
At the moment, it is off, and I am using ELECTRIC infrared heaters (which are incredible and do not give off CO).
My question is should a furnace cause the basement it is in to have levels of 100 ppm. Who would be the best person to call? My propane dealer who works on my furnace. A specialist from the state who works with CO and other dangerous gases?
I know. Please feel free to rip on me for taking these steps without experts. I just felt that with levels of 80 to 100 and using a meter prior to going into the basement was safe. I don't want to call the fire department or have someone come out if not necessary. Symptoms are headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness (flu-like symptoms) WITHOUT fever. I had none of these.