ORA-00600: internal error code, arguments: [6731], [1], [0], [62], [], [], [], [ ]

Posted on 2015-01-02
Last Modified: 2015-06-23

I am getting the following error when trying to update a table in Oracle 8.1.6 ,
I tried to update other tables but the error is coming while updating this table !!!

Any Ideas Please
Question by:m_jundi
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 3
  • 2
  • +2
LVL 38

Expert Comment

by:Gerwin Jansen, EE MVE
ID: 40527965
Besides the fact that your Oracle version is ancient (you probably have some reason not to upgrade) can you clarify whether updates to other tables are working or not? And when did this issue start? Did anything change that needs to be mentioned?

Author Comment

ID: 40527986
Update other tables are working fine,started yesterday when I killed a session while it is updating a huge table.
LVL 77

Expert Comment

by:slightwv (䄆 Netminder)
ID: 40528492
The ORA-600 is one of those errors that pretty much needs Oracle Support to diagnose.  Since 8i has LONG been desupported, you may be out of luck.

Since you killed a session that was in the middle of an update statement you may have some data, block or table corruption.

I would first try to see if you can create a new table copy:
create table my_table_bkup as select * from my_table;

Verify the data is all there (a couple of minus queries).  Then try the update on the new table.

If all that works, then it is probably some corruption somewhere.

I would look at a permanent recreation of the table.
Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!


Author Comment

ID: 40528775
I have created a new copy of that table and it works fine, Do u think dropping the table and import a new backup file will solve the issue ?
LVL 38

Expert Comment

by:Gerwin Jansen, EE MVE
ID: 40529157
If you created a copy like slightwv above is suggesting then all data is already in the copy of your table. Then there would be no need to import from backup. Why would you want to import from backup?
LVL 77

Assisted Solution

by:slightwv (䄆 Netminder)
slightwv (䄆 Netminder) earned 250 total points
ID: 40529566
>>and it works fine

Did you verify ALL the data is 100% accurate between the tables?

If so, I agree that restoring from a backup probably isn't necessary.

There are a couple of things you can do but it would be based on your database and how things are set up:

1:  Truncate the current table and insert all the data back into it.
2:  drop the current table and rename the new one to the original name.

There are potential issues with either.

Constraints and indexes are the main issues.  Dropping the table would require rebuilding all the indexes and constraints.  Truncating might be bad if there are foreign key constraints on the table.
LVL 35

Accepted Solution

johnsone earned 250 total points
ID: 40531317
If the data is good in a copy of the table, then I suspect indexes.  We had problems with indexes generating ORA-00600 errors back in 8i.  One of the indexes is corrupt on that table.  It is most likely the one with object id 6731 (check in DBA_OBJECTS), but I would recommend dropping and recreating all the indexes on that table.
LVL 77

Expert Comment

by:slightwv (䄆 Netminder)
ID: 40531337
>>then I suspect indexes

Excellent suggestion!  I forgot about indexes.

Yes, try a rebuild before all the trouble of a copy/rename of tables.

Author Comment

ID: 40561629
What I did , I restarted the DB for and everything worked fine
LVL 22

Expert Comment

by:Steve Wales
ID: 40845987
This question has been classified as abandoned and is closed as part of the Cleanup Program. See the recommendation for more details.

Featured Post

PeopleSoft Has Never Been Easier

PeopleSoft Adoption Made Smooth & Simple!

On-The-Job Training Is made Intuitive & Easy With WalkMe's On-Screen Guidance Tool.  Claim Your Free WalkMe Account Now

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Have you ever had to make fundamental changes to a table in Oracle, but haven't been able to get any downtime?  I'm talking things like: * Dropping columns * Shrinking allocated space * Removing chained blocks and restoring the PCTFREE * Re-or…
How to Unravel a Tricky Query Introduction If you browse through the Oracle zones or any of the other database-related zones you'll come across some complicated solutions and sometimes you'll just have to wonder how anyone came up with them.  …
This video shows how to copy a database user from one database to another user DBMS_METADATA.  It also shows how to copy a user's permissions and discusses password hash differences between Oracle 10g and 11g.
This video shows how to recover a database from a user managed backup

705 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question