SBS 2011 Standard messed up
Posted on 2015-01-03
I just inherited a new client who has SBS2011 Standard on a Dell Server. I don't know where to begin, except to tell you how badly the old IT person messed this server up:
1. Domain Name: corp.abc.com
instead of using .local they used .com and made the domain name a subdomain of their internet domain name (abc.com)
*I am using "abc.com" as a fictional name so not to disclose the clients name
2. They removed, yes removed all traces of Exchange
3. sharepoint does not work, cannot get to the companyweb or the farm
4. SBS console does not work, he removed the sbs OU structure in AD and manually added users and groups.
5. dhcp is coming from the router
6. dns addresses on nic card are pointing to itself and 184.108.40.206
7. clients dhcp is coming from router and using sbs server and router for dns
incredibly the server is functioning ok as a DC and File server. They are using Google APPS and syncing google calendars in outlook which is not working at all.
I guess at this point I am wondering do I do the following:
1. leave the server as it and set them up with Office 365 hosted exchange, their biggest pain point is they cannot view each others calendars
2. hope they have the original server disks and O/S and rebuild the server and domain from scratch.
Approx 6 users on the network so not really big.....
I just cannot believe there are IT people out there so ignorant about SBS