Exchange 2010 server 100% CPU - no specific process
Posted on 2015-01-07
We have a Server 2008 R2 Sp1 Hyper-V virtual machine: 4 vCPU's, 16 GB RAM. Exchange Server 2010 Version: 14.03.0123.003 (SP3). Single Exchange server running all roles except UM. It is also running GFI MailEssentials for SPAM control. The server is pegged at 100% CPU by various processes. It is not a single process causing the server to become terribly slow. Mostly it's GFI processes, Store.exe, W3wp.exe, Activesync users are reporting slowness and it's taking 30+ minutes to receive local or internet emails.
I've beaten my head against this. We've disabled GFI MailEssentials by pulling the transport rules out of Exchange (they have a utility to do this). No change. We've disabled the GFI service and that does provide a small amount of relief, but the server still spikes to 100% enough to cause delays in mail flow. We loaded Exmon and did find that one user was almost always at the top of the list of Store.exe CPU utilization. We had that user remove the Activesync account from the phone and close the mailbox from Outlook 2013. No changes to CPU utilization. I'd like to add that now EXmon will not run, but crashes.....
Even at this point with GFI services disabled, the server is extremely difficult to work on and takes forever to get anywhere to do anything. We really need some help in narrowing down where this issue lies. Also, keeping GFI disabled permanently is really not an option. They receive a significant amount of junk mail and they're practically crippled if that all makes it to the inbox.
One strange item I should mention is that the admin mailbox is receiving notification of messages blocked in GFI that have the SPAM tab appended in the subject line numerous times. I'm wondering if this is indicating some sort of email loop.