Excel 2010 Message "<File Name>.xlsx is locked for editing by another user."
Posted on 2015-01-07
Setup: Excel 2010 on a Windows 2008 R2 Citrix 6.5 server.
User double clicks on the file and the message "<File Name>.xlsx is locked for editing by another user." The only options are to open it "read only", "notify" or "cancel". If the user closes other open Excel file this file can be successfully opened when double clicked on.
1. No other user is accessing the file.
2. The file can be successfully opened when it is opened using Excel's Open Menu option.
3. File is located on a Novell file share.
4. Situation happens most the times when multiple Excel files are opened. When there are mulitple files opened this error will often repeat.
5. It does infrequently happens when it is the 1st Excel file opened. When this happens closing/opening the file resolves this issue.