Regardless of the role (i.e. DNS, Print, Web, Terminal, DHCP, Application, Active Directory, etc) of the windows 2012 server,
I am trying to put together a configuration guidance list that can be followed and used to securely build and configure a 2012 server. I have used CIS and Microsoft compliance check tools to show me baseline configuration vulnerabilities but that tool is used after system is active. Please share any configuration recommendations I should have to secure and protect a 2012 server before it is configured for a specific role.
This is what I have thus far if the server requires a windows GUI Platform
1) Install & configure Antivirus Software
2) Install & configure Windows Update
3) Install & configure Malware Software
4) Install & configure Firewall Software
5) Install & configure HIPS/HIDS Agent
6) Install & configure AppLocker
7) Install & configure the server role
8) Install & configure vendor software (based on server role: i..e. Application server - SQL Server or Deltek Time Card Software)
9) Run CIS, Microsoft, Nessus baseline configuration audit software
Thank you in advance.