I installed a fresh install of windows server 2012, no complicated setup or anything at all.
after installing windows, i configured the static ip and remote desktop access, and the computer name, thats it.
then ran the prerequisiteinstaller from the sharepoint 2013 DVD, it showed me a list of all the required packages and updates. i then clicked next and accepted the agreement, then it gave me an error that says "there was an error during installation" and it wouldn't continue. so what i did is install the requirements manually one by one, i downloaded them and installed them. now sharepoint 2013 installation no longer shows me the long list of requirements except the appfabric application. and no matter what i tried, it will not install, or will install but it says it's not configured.
now when i run the prerequisiteinstaller again, i will get an error saying "there was an error during installation, the tool was unable to install application server role, web server (iis) role."
i searched on the internet, may posts say to do different things, and i have spend a whole day trying to figure it out with no luck.