Linux Server Backup Guidance
Posted on 2015-01-11
Just looking for some guidance on backing up a linux server regularly.
The server I have will be a very stable state ubuntu running postgresql and Odoo ERP services.
What I currently plan to do is:
1. Have cron job that runs dump for my postgresql databases.
2. Then cron runs tar to backup specific directories (including database dumps) to a local backup folder, then copies them to an external drive.
3. When a restore is needed, I manually extract the files from external drive tar to a temporary folder on the target recovery machine. This machine is already setup identically to the server, e.g. running ubuntu, postgresql, and odoo.
4. Copy needed files to appropriate folders (probably automate this).
5. Restore database dumps.
6. Enjoy running business on new Server? Profit?
Any advice please? Am wiling to spend significant money if there's a much easier/better way anyone can suggest? e.g. Acronis.