GitHub Drupal Repository Best Practice?
Posted on 2015-01-12
Some questions about best practice for maintaining a Web application's code in a Git repo*:
* This would be in a private repo.
1) Do I include the settings.php file (that typically would have the db connection string) ?
2) Do I include media assets (PDFs, images, office files, audo/vidoe files?)
3) Would the main branch typically represent the codebase that's on Production, or should I have a seperate repo for Dev, Staging, and Prod?
4) When I deploy from GitHub to Dev, Staging, or Prod, do I run the Git commands from the respective server? (if yes, that would suggest I have to install Git on the server(s). Can I choose between command line versus GUI to run Git commands?