Exchange user logging into outlook

Posted on 2015-01-13
Last Modified: 2015-01-19
I have one specific user that I can not locate an error I am receiving.  

I created the user as I normally do on the Exchange server that has AD as a secondary role, then created the mailbox.

I can login to the OWA just fine, however, when I try to connect with outlook (2010 on windows 7 32-bit) it continues to prompt for the password.

I tried creating another user and connecting, which worked fine.

We work in a fully virtualized environment with linked clones that have a a separate persistent disk.  I have deleted and rebuilt the user, email box, desktop and disk with no change in behavior.

If i try, for example on the OWA to change the password, i get the following error "This feature isn't supported in the light version of Outlook Web App.
This feature isn't supported if Outlook Web App is set to maximize the blind or low vision experience.".

I am not using the light version. If I do use the light version and do the same thing, I get this error
"A problem occurred while trying to change the password.
Click here to continue working.
The domain name of the user couldn't be retrieved"

This has never happened before and seems to be limited to this user only.  I thought maybe an email or AD cleanup would help, but have been a bit nervous of that process.

Any insight would be helplful.
Question by:tommy porter
  • 6
  • 2
LVL 14

Expert Comment

by:Don Thomson
ID: 40547132
Have you checked the HOSTS file to see if the Exch Server is being redirected on that PC?

Have you tried to logon to exchange from another PC?

Author Comment

by:tommy porter
ID: 40547232
I checked the HOSTS file and there was nothing there.  However, I checked a desktop of one that works and it was the same.  Trying that user on a different laptop and not a linked clone yields the same behavior.

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
# For example:
#          # source server
#              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#       localhost
#      ::1             localhost
LVL 14

Expert Comment

by:Don Thomson
ID: 40547609
Could it be that Exchange thinks it's a reserved name. Try a slight variation of the name
PRTG Network Monitor: Intuitive Network Monitoring

Network Monitoring is essential to ensure that computer systems and network devices are running. Use PRTG to monitor LANs, servers, websites, applications and devices, bandwidth, virtual environments, remote systems, IoT, and many more. PRTG is easy to set up & use.


Author Comment

by:tommy porter
ID: 40547615
I tried a variation of the name as well, with the same results.  I tried a completely different on (my own) on the vm and it worked no issues.  

I created a new username along the same lines:  jz****2 along with the same name with a 2 at the end, just to try something different.

Author Comment

by:tommy porter
ID: 40547616
I found this site:

There were 4 copies of the original name and one copy of the new name and am purging them.

Author Comment

by:tommy porter
ID: 40547706
Update - we had to restore the exchange server last week.  it seems that all accounts created after (retested with multiple new accounts) are displaying the same issues.

I searched the errors i was receiving in the OWA and everything I am finding is pointing me towards SYSPREP.  I can't change the password on those accounts through OWA but I can on any created before then.

Accepted Solution

tommy porter earned 0 total points
ID: 40548980
Ran a DCDIAG on the server.  Found that the replication service was in a paused state after the server restore from backup.

Rebooted the Exchange server and the replication service started.  Shortly after, I was able to then log on as normal on all accounts created after server restore.

Thanks for all the help.

Author Closing Comment

by:tommy porter
ID: 40557331
Found the error.

Featured Post

Optimizing Cloud Backup for Low Bandwidth

With cloud storage prices going down a growing number of SMBs start to use it for backup storage. Unfortunately, business data volume rarely fits the average Internet speed. This article provides an overview of main Internet speed challenges and reveals backup best practices.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This article aims to explain the working of CircularLogArchiver. This tool was designed to solve the buildup of log file in cases where systems do not support circular logging or where circular logging is not enabled
In-place Upgrading Dirsync to Azure AD Connect
The basic steps you have just learned will be implemented in this video. The basic steps are shown to configure an Exchange DAG in a live working Exchange Server Environment and manage the same (Exchange Server 2010 Software is used in a Windows Ser…
Nobody understands Phishing better than an anti-spam company. That’s why we are providing Phishing Awareness Training to our customers. According to a report by Verizon, only 3% of targeted users report malicious emails to management. With compan…

856 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question