Solved

Office 365 - Email routing to on premise

Posted on 2015-01-16
3
1,025 Views
Last Modified: 2015-01-16
Hi experts!

We have recently begun a migration to office365 from Exchange 2003.
We have started a staged migration and moved two users from on-premise to the online exchange.

I have configured DirSync and all is working with that and I have migrated the two users mailboxes over to Outlook online using Outlook Anywhere endpoint and all is ok here.

The issue we have now is that the two users who have been migrated can send email externally and users on-premise can send email to them however the two users cannot send emails to the users on premise.

After some research I wondered if:

We need to setup a server runing exchange 2007 which allows routing back to exchange 2003
or
I can setup a form of routing within online exchange to send the emails back to on-premise for delivery

We have no other users migrated over, although they are ready to be moved.

The error the two migrated users receive can be different for different recipients. It is either:

Remote Server returned '550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; Recipient not found by SMTP address lookup'
or
Remote Server returned '< #5.2.1>'

I have looked at other posts on here and I have seen the use of the NK2Edit application to remove X500 address as it will be using the legacy exchange information but this has not resolved the issue.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Shaun
0
Comment
Question by:Shaun Hall
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 41

Accepted Solution

by:
Vasil Michev (MVP) earned 500 total points
ID: 40553176
Which server is generating the NDR, Exchange Online or your on-prem? Where is the MX pointing at, on-prem I assume? Have you set up the domain intent as "Internal relay" in Exchange Online? Post the sanitized NDR if possible
0
 

Author Comment

by:Shaun Hall
ID: 40553211
Hi Vasil,

the MX is still pointing at on-prem. The NDR seems to be the same now so we are not getting the < #5.2.1> error.

[b]Remote Server returned '550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; Recipient not found by SMTP address lookup'[/b]

Generating server: AM3PR05MB386.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com
#########@#########.co.uk
Remote Server returned '550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; Recipient not found by SMTP address lookup'


Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: AM3PR05MB386.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com
#########@#########.co.uk
Remote Server returned '550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.RecipNotFound; Recipient not found by SMTP address lookup'
Original message headers:
Received: from AM3PR05MB388.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com (10.242.247.27) by
 AM3PR05MB386.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com (10.242.247.17) with Microsoft SMTP
 Server (TLS) id 15.1.59.20; Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:45:31 +0000
Received: from AM3PR05MB388.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com ([10.242.247.27]) by
 AM3PR05MB388.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com ([10.242.247.27]) with mapi id
 15.01.0059.007; Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:45:31 +0000
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
From: ######### <#########@#########.co.uk>
To: "#########@#########.co.uk" <#########@#########.co.uk>
Subject: test
Thread-Topic: test
Thread-Index: AdAxgcBd1QeErIpdRP6M0CapDTcqwg==
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 11:45:30 +0000
Message-ID: <AM3PR05MB388B941EC7A4656939FC424DA4F0@AM3PR05MB388.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com>
Accept-Language: en-GB, en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: <AM3PR05MB388B941EC7A4656939FC424DA4F0@AM3PR05MB388.eurprd05.prod.outlook.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Originating-IP: [81.145.159.82]
Return-Path: #########@#########.co.uk
Authentication-Results: #########.co.uk; dkim=none (message not signed)
 header.d=none;#########.co.uk; dmarc=none action=none
 header.from=#########.co.uk;
X-DmarcAction-Test: None
X-Microsoft-Antispam: UriScan:;
X-Microsoft-Antispam: BCL:0;PCL:0;RULEID:(3005004);SRVR:AM3PR05MB386;

Open in new window


The on-prem domain is setup in exchange as an Internal Relay

Shaun
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:Shaun Hall
ID: 40553390
I removed all of the settings I had setup recently and waiting a few hours before re-adding only the relay. This now works as expected.

Thanks for your help.
0

Featured Post

Has Powershell sent you back into the Stone Age?

If managing Active Directory using Windows Powershell® is making you feel like you stepped back in time, you are not alone.  For nearly 20 years, AD admins around the world have used one tool for day-to-day AD management: Hyena. Discover why.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Unified and professional email signatures help maintain a consistent company brand image to the outside world. This article shows how to create an email signature in Exchange Server 2010 using a transport rule and how to overcome native limitations …
Microsoft is moving in-place eDiscovery & hold from ECP to EOP console under Content Search in Search and Investigation Options.  In this post, I will be showing you how to export emails to a PST file using the Content Search Options.
This video discusses moving either the default database or any database to a new volume.
Access reports are powerful and flexible. Learn how to create a query and then a grouped report using the wizard. Modify the report design after the wizard is done to make it look better. There will be another video to explain how to put the final p…

688 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question