Exchange 2007 now needs me to manually enter email address in active directory for discovery to work

We have an Exchange 2007 environment that has functioned in a Windows 2008r2 environment for years. The other night our Cisco Unity voice mail would no longer allow callers to leave our users voice mails. After spending hours with Cisco, we found a work around by manually adding each individual users email address to the email field on their active directory accounts. I did this using ADUC and made the entry on the general tab of each users account. This corrected our voice mail problem, but I am still not sure of the root issue. Today I tried to configure a new user on a workstation and opened OUTLOOK 2007, expecting it to find the users Exchange account and configure itself as I clicked NEXT. It did not find anything, but I was able to manually add the user to the local outlook the old fashioned way, after entering the server. This account did not have an email address added to it in Active Dirctory either. Today, I have had several people come to me and tell me their colleagues no longer show up in outlook when they go to send a new email and select TO: In other words some users were no longer appearing in the Global Address List. Each account missing, still did not have a manual entry of their email address in active directory. I am thinking there is something on longer working with our Exchange Auto Discover. I have never had to manually enter email addresses in active directory accounts before. All suggestions are welcome.
LVL 1
Thor2923Asked:
Who is Participating?

[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
 
Simon Butler (Sembee)Connect With a Mentor ConsultantCommented:
The first thing I would do is an Autodiscover test.
Hold down CTRL while right clicking on the Outlook icon in the system tray. Choose test email autoconfiguration. See whether Autodiscover actually works and what results are returned.

It could be that the client is trying to connect to an external server instead of the internal server, something like that.

Simon.
0
 
Thor2923Author Commented:
I have never run that test before but if I only select Use Autodiscover, It searches for the external Exchange server I am on and I get a "succeeded" message. It appears to be ok. If I check Use Guessmart, I do get a lot of "failed". I am not sure what guessmart is or if we are even using it, but that is failing
0
 
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
The only one that you need to worry about is the Autodiscover test.
You then need to look at the results to see what Outlook is doing.
If it is going to an external host then for some reason the internal lookup is failing. That could be a configuration issue on the Exchange server, DNS lookup etc.

Simon.
0
 
Thor2923Author Commented:
in the autodiscovery test it is definitely looking for the external mail server. I will direct my attention here. Thanks
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.