SSRS 2008 R2 map doesn't work
Posted on 2015-01-21
I know this should be very simple, but something is just not working right. I have 128,000 records/people in my query. I want to display the count of how many people live in each state. I've gone through mapping videos and written tutorials thinking I'm missing something because every time I run the map it is just putting a sequence number from 1 -53 on each state. So instead of there being maybe 42,000 in X state, it shows 27 OR I get nothing on the map. BTW, when I preview the map it is also just gray instead of color as I've selected.
Here are the steps I'm doing (not each step detailed, but major ones)
- I'm using the map gallery and doing a USA by state exploded
- I select a color analytical map
- I select my dataset
- I match the STUSPS to the state abbreviation
- For the field to visualize I select count(state) - but have also tried counting the unique identifier for each person
- I display the labels - depending on what I put here I either see nothing on the map or I see what looks like a sequential number on each state
This is driving me crazy!