Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 119
  • Last Modified:

odbc--connection to "Database name" failed in Access 2007

We have a Access 2007 file that started saying "odbc--connection to "Database name" failed" when trying to get data from a ODBC connection.  It works fine on about 50% of the computers/users on the network.

We setup a two new computers on the domain with all updates done and user kept getting this error.  If we login as admin on one computer it works just fine.  We tried a second computer under admin and it would give us this error.

All other software they have connects to the SQL database using ODBC with no problems and when disconnecting the ODBC connection and recreating it it tests just fine.

Some users have been having no problems with this and others get the error.  I cant find anything on the computers that are working vs the ones that are having problems.

On one computer you can login as user1 and cant get it then login as user2 and it works just fine.  On another computer user1 can get it and user2 can.

We are running Windows 7 Pro SP1, Access 2007 and the SQL is 2008.


Thanks.
0
icsllcweb
Asked:
icsllcweb
  • 6
  • 3
1 Solution
 
ThomasMcA2Commented:
ODBC configurations can be user-specific or system-wide. Are you sure that all ODBC conections have been defined on the System tab (instead of the User tab) of the ODBC Administration dialog?
0
 
icsllcwebAuthor Commented:
Yes, I have only setup all the computers them up on the "system tab".
0
 
icsllcwebAuthor Commented:
I also get the same message if delete the ODBC connection completely from the computer.
0
Get your Disaster Recovery as a Service basics

Disaster Recovery as a Service is one go-to solution that revolutionizes DR planning. Implementing DRaaS could be an efficient process, easily accessible to non-DR experts. Learn about monitoring, testing, executing failovers and failbacks to ensure a "healthy" DR environment.

 
ThomasMcA2Commented:
Since the problem happens on some desktops but not others, the ODBC Administration settings seems like the most likely culprit.

It could be a network issue, but not if it works on one login but not another on the same box.
0
 
icsllcwebAuthor Commented:
Could there be changes between computers if the OBDC connections were all setup the same?
0
 
ThomasMcA2Commented:
Perhaps they weren't setup the same. Could a GPO update from AD have updated some OUs but not others?

Try renaming the ODBC connection on a broken desktop, and create a new one using known-good settings. If the app connects, compare the settings in the new config to the old config. Are any of them different?
0
 
icsllcwebAuthor Commented:
I will check on it and let you know.  Thanks.
0
 
icsllcwebAuthor Commented:
It looks like the problem was related to a 32bit 64bit issue.  They had a third party software that would change it to a 32bit mode and it worked just fine.  The computers that were working we older 32bit Windows 7 and the ones that were not working were 64bit Windows 7.

Thanks for your time.
0
 
icsllcwebAuthor Commented:
After talking it over with there staff someone mentioned it could be a 32 vs 64 bit problem and that was it as it was running in 64bit mode.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: ZipGrep

ZipGrep is a utility that can list and search zip (.war, .ear, .jar, etc) archives for text patterns, without the need to extract the archive's contents.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way to say thank you for being a part of the community.

  • 6
  • 3
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now