I have a wordpress site running right now. However, going forward, we need more functions on the site that I do not know if wordpress will be the right base to keep building onto.
Some key functions to build up
- Scheduler for programs as the products
- ticketing system for programs with payment gateways
- membership loyalty program (discount for members, point systems)
- advanced search functions to even intelligent search eventually
- pay per click for custom post types
- customer analytics
We love WordPress for its SEO friendliness but going forward, we will be heavy on functionality (though we also need to keep the content and SEO friendliness)
So for long term planning I am considering if
- we should extend from (Option 1) WordPress or
- (option 2) to build from new with Ruby on Rails. Or,
- (option 3) could I keep wordpress for content (as the CMS) while integrating into RoR for the functions?
Btw, RoR is not a must for us though we are seriously considering the framework. We considering to just extend all the functions on WordPress with just PHP, which is our option 1, but not sure if scalability and performance will be an issue.
Any expert opinions on this?