[Last Call] Learn about multicloud storage options and how to improve your company's cloud strategy. Register Now

x
?
Solved

ASP_0113 and ASP_0147 Errors

Posted on 2015-01-29
4
Medium Priority
?
95 Views
Last Modified: 2016-06-24
I have a production server running Microsoft IIS 7 (Version 7.0.6000.16386) on Windows Server Web (2008) Service Pack 2.  During the month (or perhaps 2 months), some of our older web pages using ASP Classic have been throwing 500 Server Errors.  In the IIS log it shows "ASP_0147|500_Server_Error" and "ASP_0113|Script_timed_out" errors.  I've narrowed it down to certain ASP pages that are creating server XMLHTTP objects [Server.CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP") ] in order to "POST" data to an on-line credit card merchant processor.  About 90% of the time these pages work just fine.  The other 10% of the time, they are throwing one of these two errors.  These pages have been in production for many years and have worked flawlessly until recently.  Nothing on the server has been reconfigured.  The only update has been the usual Windows Updates from Microsoft, which have been dutifully applied when they come out.  I'm at a loss as to what is causing these issues.  I'm toying the idea of rewriting these pages using ASP.NET, but that will some take time.  Is there anything I can do or check on the server to figure out what is going on?  Side note:  The server is actually running as a Virtual Machine on VMware.  I've added more memory and a second processor to the virtual machine thinking it was simply a low resource issue.  But, that did not help.
0
Comment
Question by:wheelsm
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 33

Expert Comment

by:Big Monty
ID: 40580159
if you use Chrome, open up the developer tools (F12) when this happens and click on the NETWORK tab, you'll see a list of all of calls being made to and from the server. If you're getting a 500 error message while making an ajax call, it should be colored red. Click on it, then you can get more details about the error, hopefully narrowing down what could be causing the issue
0
 

Author Comment

by:wheelsm
ID: 40590213
Hi Big Monty.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I'm on the road right now, but will try this when I get back into the office.  It will be hit and miss trying to get more details since the problem occurs randomly.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
wheelsm earned 0 total points
ID: 41574611
For posterity, I figured I better post the resolution to this issue.  It turns out the issue was caused by Microsoft's Dynamic RPC Ports (TCP 49000 - 65535).  These ports were being blocked by my firewall.  The solution was to open these ports internally.
0

Featured Post

Looking for a new Web Host?

Lunarpages' assortment of hosting products and solutions ensure a perfect fit for anyone looking to get their vision or products to market. Our award winning customer support and 30-day money back guarantee show the pride we take in being the industry's premier MSP.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Foreword (May 2015) This web page has appeared at Google.  It's definitely worth considering! https://www.google.com/about/careers/students/guide-to-technical-development.html How to Know You are Making a Difference at EE In August, 2013, one …
A Change in PHP Behavior with Session Write Short Circuit (http://php.net/manual/en/book.session.php#116217) (Winter 2014)** With the release of PHP 5.6 the session handler changed in a way that many think should be considered a bug.  See the note …
This video teaches viewers how to create their own website using cPanel and Wordpress. Tutorial walks users through how to set up their own domain name from tools like Domain Registrar, Hosting Account, and Wordpress. More specifically, the order in…
Use Wufoo, an online form creation tool, to make powerful forms. Learn how to selectively show certain fields based on user input using rules to gather relevant information and data from your forms. The rules feature provides you with an opportunity…

650 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question