SBS 2011 Essentials based network exhibiting severe performance issues

Posted on 2015-02-02
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2015-03-04
I am getting very frequent 'not responding' issues when some users are opening / closing office files (usually Excel spreadsheets) which reside in a network share on our SBS 2011 Essentials Server. More than one network share exhibits this problem and I also have a network printer which always takes over ten minutes from putting the print job in the queue to actually starting to print. The server was working fine until a few weeks ago and I am not aware of any thing having changed. It is a 'standard' SBS 2011 Essentials setup with DNS running in the server and DHCP on the gateway router. I am desperately looking for some useful pointers here . Thanks.
Question by:Alan Bateman
  • 2
  • 2
LVL 22

Expert Comment

by:David Atkin
ID: 40584081

Have you checked the servers event logs?  Any warnings/errors?

Do you have a gigabit network? - If so, is the server connected at Gigabit?

Check to see if any updates have been installed.  Check to see if the NIC Driver on the server has been upgraded.

Any Anti-Virus on the server?

Author Comment

by:Alan Bateman
ID: 40586029
I have had a good look at the event logs but can't say I've spotted anything obvious to me. I am receiving a few schannel eventid  36888 errors ???  but they seems to happen at random times including the middle of the night and they appear in the event log way back many months ago well before we were experiencing this problem.  I am also seeing frequent batches of Information messages event 1012 Terminal Services - Remote Connection Manager ... client name a exceeded the maximum allowed failed login attempts .... forcibly terminated.  No idea what this refers to but frequent batches of maybe 20-30 at a time. ??  The network is all connected to a 100Mbps switch but it always has been. Many updates have been installed. It installs them automatically and seems to be updated once or twice a week.  Currently no antivirus on the server !!  Do you recommend a scan with any particular product?
LVL 22

Accepted Solution

David Atkin earned 2000 total points
ID: 40586048
The RDP attempts are probably someone trying to access the server remotely.  Change the RDP port forward on your router to something other than the default 3389.

Checking NIC Drivers would be my first point of call.

I would recommend upgrading the network to gigabit just for the sake of doing it.

Does the server freeze or becomes slow when on RDP/Console?

Did you check Anti-Virus?  Is it scanning during the  day or anything?
LVL 11

Expert Comment

ID: 40586272
In my experience, if a user is reporting this kind of issue ("Not responding") while opening an spreadsheet and the rest of the network isn't; there is no problem on the server or LAN it is actually the user's machine that needs to be checked as it could be running out of resources caused by spyware, virus or a simple HDD problem on the station.

Check the client if you are not having reports for the same issue with others PCs.

Author Closing Comment

by:Alan Bateman
ID: 40644483
Sorry I took so long to get back to this.  In the end I upgraded the switch to a full Gigabit switch (had been 10/100) and I also replaced the router for a better one and after a bit of re-wiring in the network cabinet and eliminating a couple of small 'supplementary switches' which had appeared over time because of a lack of wall sockets, the whole thing seems to be much improved. I guess it was always going to happen at some point and it just reached some kind of threshold. Anyway, many thanks. All is well now.

Featured Post

Free Tool: Subnet Calculator

The subnet calculator helps you design networks by taking an IP address and network mask and returning information such as network, broadcast address, and host range.

One of a set of tools we're offering as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

How to set-up an On Demand, IPSec, Site to SIte, VPN from a Draytek Vigor Router to a Cyberoam UTM Appliance. A concise guide to the settings required on both devices
Resolve DNS query failed errors for Exchange
After creating this article (http://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/23699/Setup-Mikrotik-routers-with-OSPF.html), I decided to make a video (no audio) to show you how to configure the routers and run some trace routes and pings between the 7 sites…
Michael from AdRem Software explains how to view the most utilized and worst performing nodes in your network, by accessing the Top Charts view in NetCrunch network monitor (https://www.adremsoft.com/). Top Charts is a view in which you can set seve…

850 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question