I've been at this for days, and I can't seem to get anywhere with this. I get so many mixed results - this is frustrating!
Here's what we've got:
30 Wireless AP units made by Ubiquiti. 2 per floor in a 10 floor hotel.
Even though we get full bars of signal strength throughout the \hotel, throughput is aweful! Pings swing from thousands of ms to tens of ms even when standing right near any access point.
What I've tried:
1. Testing from each ethernet cable feeding each AP. Result: about 50 MBit up and down
2. Leaving the settings on the AP's to auto channel, auto signal strength.
3. Changing the channels to alternating channels 1, 6, and 11.
4. Disabling several floors at a time (thinking signal oversaturation is my issue?)
5. Testing throughput at each PoE switch (results = 50 mbit u/d)
6. Replacing units
7. Changing SSID's.
8. Adding secondary SSID's to each AP and connecting to them individually to test speeds
9. Re-Terminating CAT5 ends for uplink cables.
10. Cursing and/or pulling hair out.
None of the above steps produced the desired results, however at certain points I did actually get 50 u/d out of some of the access points, but not consistently!! Test again and it might be 1 mbit.. or .5 mbit. AWEFUL. I don't know what else I can try.
Experts.. please help!