Solved

IIS7.5 World Wide Web Publishing Service (W3SVC) disables itself

Posted on 2015-02-02
5
251 Views
Last Modified: 2015-06-30
Hi All. I have a server 2008R2 running IIS 7.5, nothing but a few websites .NET 4.0 pretty standard.  I dont understand why but at least once a day the World Wide Web Publishing Service will stop and set its properties to disable.  I have crawled through the logs and can only find the events but no reason.  I'm pretty stumped.  Anyone have any experience solving this?
0
Comment
Question by:Scott Press
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 28

Expert Comment

by:Dan McFadden
ID: 40585999
Are there any events in the System or Application event log that you can post?  Is there any recurring activity in the http logs at the time(s) of the shutdown?

I would also enable AppPool Recycle event logging on all AppPools for all events.  Maybe you could get a little more info out of the server.

reference link:  http://blogs.iis.net/ganekar/archive/2008/12/12/iis-7-0-application-pool-recycles-log-a-event-in-windows-event-log.aspx

Dan
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
Scott Press earned 0 total points
ID: 40594280
I have found the solution to my problem.  After looking at everything but the least obvious, one of our system administrators "inadvertantly moved my IIS server into an OU designed for terminal servers. One of the policies is no IIS.
SInce I would be the only person authorized to request that, I called up the help desk and t he had it put back very quickly wiihout any questions, tickets or the like. :)
0
 

Author Comment

by:Scott Press
ID: 40633462
I have resolved this issue. It turns out that one of our SA's  (I work for a company with 300K+ employees so you can imagine the scope here) inadvertently moved one of my IIS servers into an OU that is restricted from running IIS. It's the last thing I thought of, but was the culprit.  I checked the object location and there it was. Since I didn't authorize it, it never occurred to me .... Thanks all for your support.
0
 
LVL 34

Expert Comment

by:Seth Simmons
ID: 40859149
This question has been classified as abandoned and is closed as part of the Cleanup Program. See the recommendation for more details.
0

Featured Post

Portable, direct connect server access

The ATEN CV211 connects a laptop directly to any server allowing you instant access to perform data maintenance and local operations, for quick troubleshooting, updating, service and repair.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

You might have come across a situation when you have Exchange 2013 server in two different sites (Production and DR). After adding the Database copy in ECP console it displays Database copy status unknown for the DR exchange server. Issue is strange…
What You Need to Know when Searching for a Webhost Provider
This tutorial will walk an individual through locating and launching the BEUtility application to properly change the service account username and\or password in situation where it may be necessary or where the password has been inadvertently change…
This tutorial will walk an individual through the steps necessary to install and configure the Windows Server Backup Utility. Directly connect an external storage device such as a USB drive, or CD\DVD burner: If the device is a USB drive, ensure i…

733 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question