Exchange 2010 to 2013 Public Folder migration

I am currently attempting to migrate public folders from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013. I have kicked off the migration with the following command ;
New-PublicFolderMigrationRequest -SourceDatabase (Get-PublicFolderDatabase -Server EXCHANGE) -CSVData (Get-Content C:\PFs\PFFolderToMailbox.csv -Encoding Byte) -AcceptLargeDataLoss -BadItemLimit 10000

[where pffoldertomailbox.csv contains the folder path to a single mailbox called PFMailbox]

I originally had some issues with spaces in the PF names which I resolved by using adsiedit to remove these unwanted characters from the mailboxnickname.

After running the above command the migration becomes stuck at 15% and I see the same error looping. I have for now cancelled the migration request.

Output is in the attached text filepftranserror.txt
Who is Participating?

[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

Crown_DeccConnect With a Mentor Author Commented:
Updating this with resolution

We used one of our gold partner microsoft calls in order to get this resolved. We did not get a satisfactory answer as to why the recommended method to move this public folder failed. No corruption was ever found so none the wiser.

In the end we exported the public folder to .pst, created the new PF mailbox and imported the .pst. We then had to reapply the permissions to the folders as these were not correctly carried over.
Crown_DeccAuthor Commented:
I have now raised a MS support call for this issue. I will update this with the solution when the problem is resolved which may be another week.
Gareth GudgerCommented:
Sounds like the source (2010) Public Folder database is corrupted or down. I assume it is mounted?

You may want to run New-PublicFolderDatabaseRepairRequest command on the 2010 server to check for corruption.

More info on that command here.
Free tool for managing users' photos in Office 365

Easily upload multiple users’ photos to Office 365. Manage them with an intuitive GUI and use handy built-in cropping and resizing options. Link photos with users based on Azure AD attributes. Free tool!

Crown_DeccAuthor Commented:
Thanks for the response Gareth.

I ran an online repair that found a few minor issues and repaired them and then ran the offline repair over the weekend which found no issues. There are oddities in the event log however ;

Information Store (3700) CrownE-2010 Public Folders: Database 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox\CrownE-2010 Public Folders\CrownE-2010 Public Folders.edb': While attempting to move to the next or previous node in a B-Tree, the database engine skipped over 134565 non-visible nodes in 325 pages. It is likely that these non-visible nodes are nodes which have been marked for deletion but which are yet to be purged. The database may benefit from widening the online maintenance window during off-peak hours in order to purge such nodes and reclaim their space. If this message persists, offline defragmentation may be run to remove all nodes which have been marked for deletion but are yet to be purged from the database.
      Name: MSysObjects
      Owning Table: MSysObjects
      ObjectId: 2
      PgnoRoot: 4
      Type: 2
      Unversioned Deletes: 134565
      Uncommitted Deletes: 0
      Committed Deletes: 0
      Non-Visible Inserts: 0

This is a little beyong my knowledge but looks to me like Exchange believes that the public store has been deleted at some point. I can confrm that it is up, mounted and can be connected to and read without issue. Will continue this with MS Support this morning.
Gareth GudgerCommented:
It may be worth running an offline defrag against the Public Folder Database.

You will need to dismount it and run ESEUTIL /D. More info here.

Also, are you performing a regular full backup against the public folder database? Any problems when you do a backup of it?

Antivirus can also cause some strange results. Do you have antivirus installed on either the source or destination server? If so, we need to make sure you have all the relevant exceptions in place.
Crown_DeccAuthor Commented:
Upate - Ran an offline Defrag which found no problems within the database itself.  Regular full backups via BackupExec (with the exchange module) take place each evening with no issues.

Another thing of note is that this data has been upgraded through each Exchange release since it's original format in Exchange 5.5. I would be suprised if there wasn't some old or misconfigured entries left behind in AD.

Next action - I will be attempting to export the contents of the public folders to .pst file and import that into the new PF mailbox. I intend to do this Tomorrow (Saturday 14th Feb). Will report back how it pans out.
Crown_DeccAuthor Commented:
Answer provided by Microsoft support call.
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.