fba authentication with SQL in sharepoint 2013

Hello to all,

I have installed Sharepoint 2013 along with SQL Server 2012 in the same box. I have configured FBA following instructions from:
http://blogs.technet.com/b/ptsblog/archive/2013/09/20/configuring-sharepoint-2013-forms-based-authentication-with-sqlmembershipprovider.aspx
http://chrisbarba.com/2013/07/16/sharepoint-2013-forms-based-authentication-fba/

However, once I log into the site collection I created and go to Site Settings and click on FBA Role Management I get the following error:
A Membership Provider has not been configured correctly. Check the web.config setttings for this web application.

I have already provided the right access permissions to the database I created for the user running my web application; I have looked over the configuration for my 3 web.config files (SharePoint Central Administration, SecurityTokenServiceApplication and the SharePoint web application) and found no errors; and I have also googled the error and found no solution for my problem. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
essi1Asked:
Who is Participating?
 
colly92002Connect With a Mentor Commented:
Usually in these circumstances it comes down to permissions.

In this case, your service account needs access to aspnetdb, Check IIS to ensure that the service accounts that apppools are running under have access to this database.

Also check your ULS logs as they should contain a more specific error (hopefully it will say "login failed for xxxxx on yyyyy" and it will be obvious where the error lies).
0
 
Walter CurtisConnect With a Mentor SharePoint AEDCommented:
Do you have any more specific information. Check event viewer and on SQL server check security event log to see if there are specific issues. Also, have you checked all networking settings, firewall settings, anything that might cause an issue. The error is very generic and could be a total smokescreen from the real issue(s)

Thanks
0
 
essi1Author Commented:
Hello and thank you for both of your answers. I'm still working on this issue, but got some other priorities right now. I will follow your suggestions and will post back the results hopefully by the end of this week. I really appreciate your time and knowledge.
Thanks
0
 
essi1Author Commented:
Hello colly92002 and SneekCo,
I want to thank you both again for you input. I agree with you colly92002, it sounds like a permissions issue, but I searched all over and couldn't find what I was missing. I created 2 more web applications from scratch and linked them to 2 different new databases and checked all the permissions, but could not get this working. However, I moved on as I thought about a different solution that satisfied my needs. I wanted to allow users external to my AD to login to my Sharepoint site, so I created a one-way trust with a test domain I have and created security groups in my domain. That way I can just add users to the test domain and then add them to the security group and assign the group the permissions I want them to have in my Sharepoint site. It's sort of a workaround, but works for me, so I'm sharing it... who knows if helps someone else.
Thanks again.
0
 
Walter CurtisSharePoint AEDCommented:
Thanks and best of luck to you!
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.