VBScript building HTML hyperlink yields link with Diamonds with Question Mark Characters in it.

I have some code that creates an html webpage with tracking information for shipped orders that recently stopped working correctly.

The vbscript code created the hyperlink and the user would click on the hyperlink and it would track the shipment.
Now the hyperlink has 956 diamond shaped characters with a question mark appended to the link.

UPS tracking looks like this:
http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/track?HTMLVersion=5.0&loc=en_US&Requester=UPSHome&WBPM_lid=homepage%2Fct1.html_pnl_trk&trackNums=88889999999&track.x=Track

The vbscript code to create the link I have is:

rs("TRACKING_INFO") = "1ZY9E1950366559999"

Case "UPS"
   If Len(rs("TRACKING_INFO")) > 0 Then
' replace carrige return line feed with string to concantante multiple tracking numbers
      sTrackingInfo = Replace(rs("TRACKING_INFO"),cHR(13) & CHR(10),"%0D%0A")
   End If
      strHTML = strHTML & "  <td><FONT SIZE = ""1""><a href=http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/track?HTMLVersion=5.0&loc=en_US&Requester=UPSHome&WBPM_lid=homepage%2Fct1.html_pnl_trk&trackNums=" & sTrackingInfo & "&track.x=Track>" & rs("TRACKING_INFO") & "</a></FONT></td>" & vbCrLf

Open in new window


The hyperlink looks fine, but when you click it, it opens:
http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/track?HTMLVersion=5.0&loc=en_US&Requester=UPSHome&WBPM_lid=homepage%2Fct1.html_pnl_trk&trackNums=1ZY9E1950366559999�������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������

If you remove the diamonds with question marks characters it works fine.

If you change your default browser from IE10 to Firefox it works fine.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
BFanguyAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Webinar] Streamline your web hosting managementRegister Today

x
 
COBOLdinosaurConnect With a Mentor Commented:
The diamond question represents unprintable characters in whatever character set the browser has been assigned.  The vbscript is probably emitting some additional characters after the text.  FF would eleminate those a trailing whitespace;  apparently IE 10 didn't do the transition to standards compliance very well, and is probably using a default character set other than utf-8.  With just the function it is hard to recommend a fix.  We would need to see the page; so a link would help.

Cd&
0
 
BFanguyAuthor Commented:
Looks like this is a problem with converting binary to text from within VBScript.  
The tracking info is stored in a SQL BINARY FIELD.  I have to convert it to text.  It all looks okay within sql (no special characters), but when i write the converted text to a text file it has 908 extra characters.
0
 
COBOLdinosaurCommented:
The strange thing is that it suddenly had a problem with IE when you went to IE 10.  I don't know why it would not truncate what should be considered whitespace.

Cd&
0
Never miss a deadline with monday.com

The revolutionary project management tool is here!   Plan visually with a single glance and make sure your projects get done.

 
BFanguyAuthor Commented:
I found that the Asc code for the invalid characters was 0, so i did a replace of all Chr(0) to "" and now it's working again.

cTrackinginfo = Replace(rs("TRACKING_INFO"),Chr(0),"")

Guessing earlier versions of IE truncated all invalid characters.

Thanks!
0
 
BFanguyAuthor Commented:
I've requested that this question be closed as follows:

Accepted answer: 0 points for BFanguy's comment #a40592394

for the following reason:

found work around
0
 
COBOLdinosaurCommented:
Hmmm....... I guess describing what was causing the problem did not contribute to the solution. I'll have to remember that in the future.

Cd&
0
 
BFanguyAuthor Commented:
Sorry, i had clicked on the wrong answer.
0
 
COBOLdinosaurCommented:
No problem.  I didn't file a formal objection. I just look a little strange to close it that way.  Thanks for coming back and correcting it.

Cd&
0
All Courses

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.