Task Scheduler Oddity
Posted on 2015-02-09
I have WSFTP client on a 2008 Server x64 SP2.
I have scripts created with WSFTP that periodically upload and download files from a offsite ftp site.
I have scheduled tasks (in Windows Task Scheduler) pointing to the .scp scripts.
This process I have on a few other servers - and it runs great. No problems.
With this installation - if you allow the tasks to fire off on their own - triggered by time (every 30 minutes, etc) youc an see the ftpscrpt.com come up in Task Manager - showing that Task Scheduler successfully is calling the script - but then - nothing. Hangs. Forever.
If you Display All Running Tasks in Task Scheduler - it shows all of them - Run Duration hours long.
Sounds like the scripting isn't right or something, right? Or permissions to the directories it locally trying to pull or push to/from aren't allowing it to complete, right?
Here's the kicker - I have the tasks running with the domain admin user. If I log into that server with the same user, right click one of the scheduled tasks that is stuck and click Run - it works fine. Shoot - if I log into the server with a non admin user and right click and run
I've seen issues where you point a scheduled task to a batch file and it doesn't' work but if you run the batch file manually it does - but not where a scheduled task will not complete the process when triggered on a timer but will if manually requested. Its not even a difference in user rights - its the same user.
I have uninstalled WSFTP and booted and reinstalled - even changed the version to a newer version - modified the tasks to use the local admin (and then eventually put it back) - checked permissions on each folder being called on etc.
-- I'm lost. Ideas?
(I don't want to make this but so long but I will give more information on this - this server and the exact process and scripts - worked fine until the ftp site was given a new Security Certificate. I found out about this on one of my other servers when I noticed ftpscrpt was hung. Eventually I logged into WSFTP GIU and manually connected to the site and was prompted to Accept a New Security Certificate - which I did and and viola - worked fine. So knowing this - I hit all my other servers (they all script to the same ftp site) and accepted the certs there too. If it is related to the new cert - I can't understand why it will only run manually - it shouldn't run at all. And when I log into the WSFTP GUI on this server and connect now - no prompts are given and I can move through the site directories just fine.)