How do I create a DNS Server
Posted on 2015-02-17
I have a persistent issue that I believe is DNS related...
I have a firewall on a remote network. The "DNS" problem is web pages failing with a message from the firewall "Host Not Found"
- The WAN (Externeal network) on the Firewall is a NATd address (192.168.0.1)
- I am forwarding DNS from the Internet modem as well as explicitly defining other DNS Servers in the firewall (like Google and OpenDNS)
- I even point to Google and/or OpenDNS on the NIC card for each client connected to the frewall.
- I have looked into the logs when the "Host Not Found" error occurs and it seems like the web page is found but the the Host (Client computer initiating the request) is not on the way back.
- I have been getting beat up over this issue with no real results.
This network is a Windows work group of Win 7 Pro computers and One Windows 2008 R2 storage server.
The next thing I want to to try is to set up an Internal DNS server to handle all DNS forwarding. I do not know how to do this and (as) mentioned the only OS systems I have available are Windows 7 Pro and Windows Storage Server 2008 R2.
Can anyone point me in the right direction to set up a simple DNS server on my Windws Work Group network?