VEEAM - VM Replication for DR
Posted on 2015-02-17
Calling all VEEAM guru's. We are using Veeam as our disaster recovery product to replicate our VM's from our Datacentre to our head office and vise versa. Dont ask why we are doing this, this is our plan so just go with it :)
So I kicked off a full backup of a Test Machine from DC to Head office. The full Backup went to a file share on a head office management server. Now if I browse to the Head office management server, on the share I can see two folders:
1. Full VM folder (contains .vbm & .vbk)
2. Replicas folder (contains another folder named vm-8500 and within it contains 5 .vbk files all 30 MB in size) There are 5 restore points which make sense.
3. On the Head office side within VMware, I can see the VM inside the inventory offline with about 5 snapshots and all the files sitting on our SAN in head office.
I have been able to browse these restore points from Veeam application and can see the added files.
1. How do all of these files come together? I.e whats the full process of the full backup and replication job.
2. If I need to move the full backup files, replica and VM inventory files to another SAN in head office and re-seed from our data centre test VM, whats the process?
3. Also how do we know when to use Application Aware processing? is it just a matter of listing if there are any available (CMD: vssadmin list writers) or more to it?
Much appreciated guys,.