Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 381
  • Last Modified:

Persistent prompt for email password

My client is using hosted exchange from Rackspace and they are still on the old Exchange 2007 platform there.  They have upgraded to Office 2013 and now they are consistently, annoyingly prompted for password for that email account.  What we have done that has not worked to remove the prompting:
1. deleted and recreated OST
2. deleted stored credentials
3. requested the client have the mailbox moved to a newer exchange at Rackspace, (no good as they have no control over this)

They and I are at wits end.  Hopefully someone has an answer that does not involve server side changes as we have no access to that at all.
0
dstewart83161
Asked:
dstewart83161
1 Solution
 
MereteCommented:
Have you tried to reboot the PC?
Hopefully this is a quick and easy fix that alleviates your frustration.
0
 
Davis McCarnOwnerCommented:
The normal, next step, is to create a new profile using the Mail icon in the control panel and try that.  If it works, go back and delete the old profile.
0
 
dstewart83161Author Commented:
we did try rebooting the PC to no avail.  Also created a new profile and the problem still exists in the new one.
0
Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
Davis McCarnOwnerCommented:
Did you find this at Rackspace?
http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/manually-configure-outlook-2013-for-email-hosted-on-exchange-2007
Make sure you do the first step and get your server settings!
0
 
dstewart83161Author Commented:
yes, we do know how to obtain the settings and put in the proxy server portion for rackspace.  I did notice a link from a frustrated user in that post though that shows there own instructions and part of those instructions they do not have the second checkmark under "only connect to proxy servers" where the msstd: is specified.  Is that a typo or should I not have the second field specified for the connection?
0
 
Davis McCarnOwnerCommented:
Did you use the proxy settings from their screen images?
0
 
dstewart83161Author Commented:
not exactly from their screen images.  used the proper servers they indicate for the account but I did checkmark all fields and fill in both proxy server fields as well as set fast and slow connections on and chose Basic authentication.
0
 
Davis McCarnOwnerCommented:
Their listing of the proxy servers are what you are supposed to use on the proxy page.  The proxy then connects you to your email server.
0
 
Lionel MMSmall Business IT ConsultantCommented:
I ran into the same thing when we switched to Office365, exactly and they only way I could get it to go away was to use the credential manager in the user accounts in control panel (Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager). There I added the office365 credentials after removing the old ones (sometimes just removing the old one may do the trick)
0
 
dstewart83161Author Commented:
This has been resolved.  The owner of the domain indicated they were running a split exchange environment.  Internal, company mailboxes (1,000 of them) had internal exchange and the rest of the external (or franchises like us) were using hosted email.  However, they had not accounted for this within Autodiscover.  We showed them articles on how to handle split DNS so autodiscover could be handled both internally and externally but they refused to do this.  As Outlook 2010 and 2013 are heavily dependent on Autodiscover, the prompt kept showing up because it was receiving the wrong response for the location of the server.  Due to the ineptness of the company's engineer, we ended up putting in the proper entry in the HOSTs file and rebooting the machine.  did an NSLOOKUP on the hosted exchange autodiscover record then entered the one line entry as follows:   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx  autodiscover.originaldomain.com    (the ip address was from the hosted exchange and the autidiscover entry was from the original domain that should have put the proper records in place.)

After rebooting with this entry in place  (BTW, location is C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc ), Outlook opened and no longer prompted for password every 5 minutes.
0
 
dstewart83161Author Commented:
Had to figure this out for ourselves as no other comments added actually addressed the problem.
0

Featured Post

Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now