We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Outlook 2013 losing Exchange using HTTP settings

kroberts00
kroberts00 asked
on
Hello My proxy settings for my clients who use SBS 2011 are all of the sudden disappearing. This has been working fine for over a year now.  I use one domain as the primary domain which I set the certificate up for. I have a SRV in place for this domain and when I use Microsoft Analyser to test the Autodiscover it passes. I used Shell commands and see the external host matches what is on our certificate.  The one odd thing I am seeing is when I run Get-Outlookprovider I do not see a a EXPR Name. Would be great full for any assistance in troubleshooting this. Seems odd everything was working and now its stopped.
Comment
Watch Question

Most Valuable Expert 2014

Commented:
Was the server and the certificate setup using the wizards in SBS?
When you run an Autodiscover test through Outlook, what does it return to you?

It sounds like classic Autodiscover issues.

Simon.

Author

Commented:
Yes The wizard was used and everything worked fine for a year. Never used outlook to test Autodiscover test. How would one do this?

Author

Commented:
Here is the record I have in place. This domain is the main domain I have a couple other domains that are accepted by exchange.
Capture.PNG

Author

Commented:
Attached is the Outlook test results. This is their web server not sure why its pulling that info.
error-message.jpg
Most Valuable Expert 2014
Commented:
The information you have posted is coming from your ISP.
The usual reason for that is you don't have your DNS setup correctly.
Your web host has probably changed something (most likely a new version of their control panel) which is now causing you problems.
If you were not setup correctly, then things can appear to work, but there was actually a problem behind the scenes that you didn't see. Not unusual.

As you have an SRV record, you need to ensure that Autodiscover.example.com does not resolve. That usually means checking that you do not have a wildcard in the domain at your public DNS records. If you do, remove it.
Internally, you need to ensure that Autodiscover is returning the correct information. When you do an Autodiscover test, just enable the first option, the second and third can be disabled. If it continues to return the incorrect information then for some reason the client is unable to see the information within Exchange correctly.

I would also get the SBSBPA from Microsoft and run that against your environment. Ensure that it doesn't flag anything odd. For example you should ensure that all clients on the domain are using your SBS server Only for DNS. no external DNS servers.

@Alexa Jackson - try reading the question. This has nothing to do with either Exchange 2013 or MAPI/HTTP.

Simon.

Author

Commented:
I use DNS made easy for the cameron3.org domain. Seeing as this is the primary domain is this the only record I need to be worried about?

Seems like I can put the proxy info in manually and it works for a day or so and then reverts back.

Author

Commented:
I check my records all looks good. I have a ticket in with the DNS company to see what the issue could be.  Something I find odd is when I do the outlook test internally all comes back with flying colors externally I am still getting the same info. With that being said seems like the outlook client I set up hasn't lost connection in the last 10 hours.
Most Valuable Expert 2014

Commented:
DNS providers are often slow with getting updates out there. Lost count how many times I have had to wait for them to do something. One major UK ISP updates their DNS records once a day at 5pm, so if you request a change at 6.30pm you have to wait almost an entire day before it even starts to clear caches.

I use this site to check what the world thinks:
https://www.whatsmydns.net/

Simon.

Author

Commented:
Help me understand. If I use a 3rd party cert with the primary domain. I use the SRV record for autodiscover for that primary domain. Do I have to have dns records for any of the other exchange accepted domains outside of the MX to point mail.
Most Valuable Expert 2014

Commented:
If you do not have any clients who have a PRIMARY email address as one of the additional domains, then you do not need any other DNS entries other than MX.
However if you do, then you will need to create Autodiscover SRV records if you aren't using a UC type certificate to cover that additional domain.

Simon.

Author

Commented:
Ok, I think I was able to make some headway on this. Looks like Simon you where on the right track with the host. From what I can tell they did an update and now the website certificate is superseding my exchange cert. The gave me a whole bunch of scripts to change it and make it look at exchange. Seems like a lot of people are having this issue with this host CPANEL. I am going to recreate the records in my 3rd party DNS and take control away from the CPANEL and see if this fixes the issue.

Author

Commented:
Just FYI I heard these scripts are easy to implement but should you ever change you mail host they are pretty hard to change. This is why I am going the 3rd party route

Author

Commented:
Web Server updated CPANEL causing us to pull the wrong certificate.