We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

How to verify office 2013 product key matches working cpu

rberke asked
I am messed up some paperwork two years ago, and I am left with an Office 2013 home and business key card that was accidentally marked as "CPU123".  That is clearly wrong because CPU123 has Office 2010 installed, and it was installed from a retail fpp disk.  

So, that caused me to audit everything, and I have narrowed things down.  The key card belongs to either CPU234 or CPU235.  But, I can't figure out which.

I tried the following command line which is supposed to report the last 5 digits of Microsoft's 25 digit product key.

cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus

But, both CPUs report "p34p3".

I suppose we might have activated both CPUs with the same key card, but that is supposed to be impossible, so I don't think that is what is happening.

Does anybody have any idea of how pin things down?  I am considering
control panel > programs > change office 2013 > enter a product key.

But, I have never done that on an installation that has already been activated.  I am worried it might clobber things.

Any other ideas would be helpful.  Another question that might help, does anyone know how to tell when the currently executing Office 2013 was installed?

Watch Question

Download Belarc Advisor from here: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
Run it and it will give you the product keys for your Office installation - as well as a heap of other useful information.
If you open Control Panel and select Uninstall Programs you can see the date Office 2013 was installed.


Belarc reported the Office 2013 build level, but did not report a product key for the Office 2013 installation on cpu 234.  I cannot try it on cpu235 because the terms of use require that I agree to scan 1 computer. If I want to scan another, I must lie when I agree to that. (or, I could pay $1500 for their enterprise level product  !!!)  

Also, the Uninstall program does not show the original install date -- I think it shows the date of the most recent Office Repair.

But, I discovered I could find original install date by using windows explorer  and view the creation date of \\cpu234\c$\Users\Jane.Doe\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Office.

Unfortunately, the install date did not help me sort on identify which cpu the product key is for.

Unless I get more other advice, I'll probably close this problem tomorrow with an "unsolved" disposition, then call Microsoft and see if they can help.
All my research told me that the mystery product key was used on CPU234.  

But the product key ended with v4934 whereas ossp.vbs /dstatus reported VT7GQ.

So I concluded that there was a mismatch and opened this question to resolve it..

It turns out that /dstatus  DOES NOT WORK WITH OFFICE 2013!!!!

I cannot find any documentation to prove this, but I just installed a brand new Office 2013 product key to a brand new windows 7 computer. After activation the /dstatus reports a completely different 5 characters than was actually used.

That resolves my confusion, but I am very annoyed that Microsoft's software does not work as advertised. I wasted a lot of time because of it.


AKB's solutions were good, but simply did not work for my installation of Office 2013 on Windows 7.

I "solved" the problem myself, but never found a reliable way to verify that a particular product key matches the software that was installed.

I do not believe there is anyway of doing it, short of uninstalling and reinstalling the software.

cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OSPP.VBS" /dstatus   does not work.

C:\Users\linda.sadler2>cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\OSPP.VBS" /inpkey::mykey ending in V4934 does not work

control panel > change > does not have a product key option, so it does not work

I do not believe there is anyway of verifying that a product key matches your installation except by uninstalling and reinstalling.