This is a domain name question.
I've done research on a desired domain and here's what I found.
1. Purchased in 2000
2. Site was "under construction" in 2001
3. In 2004, the site when black and the Web history shows a "file not found" error.
4. The domain is renewed each year since 2004 but with no activity.
5. The .org and .net versions of this domain are not active.
As an organization, we have a product that was using the title of this domain as far back as 1987. We recently have an interest in resurrecting this product and we'd like to use this domain.
I remember reading about or hearing some place about a provision to be able to "take over" a dead domain if you can show proper interest. My guess is this domain is:
* Being held for a potential project.
* Being held with the hope that some day somebody would come around and offer to buy it.
* Totally forgotten and on some auto renewal cycle that no body even pays attention to.
Is there a provision to obtain ownership of a dead domain if we can provide proof of prior use?
Or what would you recommend in this situation?