I have an odd issue with a User's mailbox that is going to require me to remove and rebuild the mailbox, and local Personal (Online) Archive, without affecting the AD User object. When removed I will need to rebuild the Mailbox and the Personal (Online) Archive using the original email address. I have already manually copied all emails from the Inbox and Archive.
I have read the MS documents but want help verifying and confirming all of my steps before moving forward. It seems that I always run into something that was not mentioned in the MS articles.
Are these steps correct and what do I need to be aware of? - if I missed anything:
1) DISABLE the Archive in EMC
2) DISABLE the Mailbox in EMC
3) Perform a REMOVE MAILBOX command, in PowerShell, on these two items.
4) Perform REMOVE MAILBOX on the Archive (how is this done?)
- How do I identify the Archive mailbox ID to perform the Remove?
- Can I leave these mailboxes detached instead of removing them in case I need to connect them again for troubleshooting the root issue?
5) Create a new mailbox and a new archive for the existing User, from within EMC with the original email address
- Will the original email address be available for use?
6) Manually copy all emails and folders from my local .PST copy back to the newly created Mailbox and Archive
Are these the correct steps or have I missed something?
As for your questions: #4 and #5 are related. If you leave the mailboxes detached instead of removing them completely, then the original email address won't be available for use with the newly created mailbox.
As to the archive mailbox, it works the same as a regular mailbox. If you disable the archive mailbox, it becomes a disconnected mailbox. Then you remove it the same way you remove any other disconnected mailbox.