Exchange Database Hell

Hello,

We had a failure of a storage array which housed 3 of our Exchange databases (fun!). We have the first database restored and so we stepped through changed the database path though Move-DatabasePath, which worked fine. Now, when we try to mount the database, we get this nasty error.

--------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Exchange Error
--------------------------------------------------------
Failed to mount database 'Retired Mailboxes'.

Retired Mailboxes
Failed
Error:
Exchange is unable to mount the database that you specified. Specified database: KL-ACRONOS\Third Storage Group\Retired Mailboxes; Error code: MapiExceptionCallFailed: Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-550)

Apparently has to do with the log files. My brain is fairly fried at this point, lookng for help getting it to mount again.

Thanks!
LVL 6
sarasotamacIT ManagerAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

sarasotamacIT ManagerAuthor Commented:
This may read a bit strange, do for clarification.... Array failed, restored the database from backup (Symantec Backup Exec) to a new storage drive.
0
Satyendra SharmaMicrosoft UC Technical ArchitectCommented:
Did you restore logs as well with the databases or just the database?
Also was there any option to mount the database after restoration and if yes what was the selection?
0
sarasotamacIT ManagerAuthor Commented:
Hi Satyendra, the raid array failed and is unusable so I had to use file redirection on the restore, so no option in that mode to mount the database. I had to then use Exchange PS to tell Exchange I moved the database location.

Yes, I restored the logs along with the database, and told Exchange where the new log location was also, and so it obviously didn't work.
0
Creating Active Directory Users from a Text File

If your organization has a need to mass-create AD user accounts, watch this video to see how its done without the need for scripting or other unnecessary complexities.

Satyendra SharmaMicrosoft UC Technical ArchitectCommented:
I see, did you try selecting the option in database properties under maintenance tab 'database can be overwritten by a restore' and then try mounting?
0
HariomExchange ExpertsCommented:
first run eseutil /mh and check if database is clean shutdown, if database is clean shutdown then move all the logs files and other folder and try to mount the database it should mount.

Review my blog if you need any further assistance.

https://viralr.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/exchnage-store-dismounted/
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
sarasotamacIT ManagerAuthor Commented:
Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply, been a bit busy. The last comment by Viralr was what I used to resolve.

Thanks!
0
sarasotamacIT ManagerAuthor Commented:
Running these steps led to me getting the database back online.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.