Installation of SQL Express 2012 Error

When Installing SQL Express 2012 on our Windows 2012 R2 64 bit server I encountered Database Engine Services Error  0x851A001A.

I have tried various ways to fix the issue but I am now stumped and in need of help ASAP. Please keep answers simple as I am not a true db guy. I will attach the install log for reference.

Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Michael FowlerSolutions ConsultantCommented:
Have a look at this solution

1. Go to SQL Server Configuration manager, right click on the SQL Server service, and change the service account (if it is local system, give it a windows level account, and vice-versa). It might throw a WMI error but you will see the account getting updated anyway. If not, then use the Services console. Change the account for SQL Agent as well.
2. Next, try to start the service. It should come online.
3. However, you will not be able to log in to the SQL Server
4. Now stop the service and start it from the command prompt using -m -c -T3608 parameters.
5. Now try logging in to the server using admin connection from sqlcmd (sqlcmd admin:<server name>\<instance name> ...)
6. Once logged in, use the sp_addsrvrolemember '<domain\username>','sysadmin'.
Also add the builtin/administrators to the sysadmin role
7. Now stop the service from the command prompt and start it from SQL Server configuration manager
blackbear67Author Commented:
I changed the service account but the service will still not start.
The SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service terminated with the following service-specific error:
Vitor MontalvãoMSSQL Senior EngineerCommented:
The Summary isn't enough. For more details errors post the file in %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\
Determine the Perfect Price for Your IT Services

Do you wonder if your IT business is truly profitable or if you should raise your prices? Learn how to calculate your overhead burden with our free interactive tool and use it to determine the right price for your IT services. Download your free eBook now!

blackbear67Author Commented:
Here is the folder of the log files. Thank You.
Vitor MontalvãoMSSQL Senior EngineerCommented:
You didn't attach nothing and we only need the log file from the last installation error.
blackbear67Author Commented:
I think I have it fixed.
I uninstalled SQL
removed all reg settings
started the install process again but this time I selected the administrator account instead of the system account in the install options.  All services started with no errors.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
blackbear67Author Commented:
Because I discovered changing the default account authentication while installing worked.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft SQL Server

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.