I'm a newbie at InfoPath and need help to solve a problem:
I’ve created an Infopath form in IP2010 which receives a parameter when invoked correctly, queries an access database, displays one record for the user to edit. It has a submit button that allows the edits to be posted back to the access database table. The form works great when I execute it from a command line using the /inputparameters option.
Now, I am trying to send out weekly emails to my project managers (programmatically from Access2010 VBA.) Each project manager's email will have a list of their projects in a table. I want each project line in the email to have a custom hyperlink that invokes the IP form with the parameter. The hyperlink references the IP xsn file that has been published. I can’t get the hyperlink to work correctly/consistently. Things I have already tried to get this to work:
1) I tried to publish the form to a network location and send the input parameters via a /inputparameters flag on the command line. I have come to learn that many say hyperlinks do not handle parameters at all. I don't know if this is correct or not.
2) I published the form to my sharepoint server and called it directly. The form opens, but it does catch the input parameter.
3) I have tried to publish the IP form to my sharepoint server, and then use a call to the formserver.aspx to render the xsn ip form into Infopath Filler. When I invoke the hyperlink from a Word document (for testing purposes) it worked (even though a pop up window appears and you have to download the form - yuk.) Here's what it is.
&ID=<<custom input parameter goes here>>
When I tried to include the same hyperlink into a HTMLBody of an Outlook email, the formserver errors, with either “The form is Closed” or “This form must be a web enabled form”. The only reason I am going to the option of using the formerserver.aspx option is because it seems to be the only option that will accept an input argument that I can grab from the custom hyperlink in my form. The other options don’t seem to allow for me to pass a parameter.
1) I have already considered using a embedded .bat file in the email to invoke the form. The problem with this solution is that I am gathering statuses on hundreds of projects, and the unique IDs for each project status reports would required hundreds of .bat files to be created each week.
2) I was hoping to switch the IP form to a web-enabled form, but then I can't write the updates back to the access database. That is not an option.
3) I don't know how and don't have the resources to write any specialized website aspx pages.
4) I thought about creating a sharepoint form library with the IPForm that would store the responses to an invoked, parameterized IP form, but I can't find an InfoPath web part on our sharepoint site. I'd prefer a solution using the current IP form.
1) I would prefer to have my form on the network and hyperlink to the form with the /inputparameters flag. Can that actually work?
2) Why does the hyperlink work in Word, but won’t work from a HTML outlook email?
3) Is there an easier way to do this?
I really appreciate any help you can provide to me. This place is AWESOME! :)