I run Kaspersky Internet Security (KIS) 15.x as a firewall and antivirus and in addition run MalwareBytes premium home. I have Windows Defender turned off under Windows 7.
During a two week discussion with KIS online support on several topics, the following occurred:
1. KIS support was incredibly obtuse, arrogant, and condescending (I can provide discussion threads).
2. They convinced me to run their Kaspersky Log Utility which collects an immense amount of configuration and registry data. This was not necessary to solve the problem at hand (a problem with their ticketing system). I foolishly ran it and submitted results.
3. They told me to uninstall MalwareBytes. I did not do so.
At this point, I am extremely suspect of KIS and question whether my system has been compromised by their log utility.
I have taken the following steps:
- Uninstalled MalwareBytes.
- Downloaded MalwareBytes and reinstalled.
- Enabled rootkit scan, Shriken Huristics, and self protection early start.
- Ran a full scan.
Do you have any recommendations on any additional steps I should take to ensure system integrity?
Do you have additional information on KIS integrity - or lack thereof?
Would you recommend running Windows Defender in addition to KIS? Both are firewalls as I understand it. It is not recommended to run two firewalls.
Thanks very much,