Same problem, different day. If you look at my questions for the past two years you’ll see that I’ve had a string of bad luck with one problem after another. (The original problem was a bad PSU from the first computer) I recently purchased a brand new PC, built to spec (by a local professional computer shop) with two HDD drives. (C: Drive had Windows 8.1 and several programs, the D: Drive contained data, audio files, and other non-OS software) Shortly after I got it, I attempted to clone the C drive to a new SSD but after installing it kept slowing down and freezing up. So I went back to the two HDD drives and everything was running okay until…
A week ago Windows asked for a standard “update and restart”, when I did this, the PC wouldn’t boot.
I tried several things, including removing the secondary D drive. And I ended up having to do a new install of Windows. So I figured if I’m going to have to reinstall all my software again, I might as well try the SSD again with a fresh Windows install. For some reason the secondary D drive had a boot folder along with some files (bootmgr, hiberfile.sys, pagefile.sys, swapfile.sys) is it possible during the update Windows got confused as to which drive was the proper one with the OS system on it? But I believe that is a separate issue.
After installing a fresh Windows 8.1 I updated the SSD with the latest firmware.
The basic problem is the computer won’t run properly with the SSD but runs fine with the two original HDD drives. The new SSD was identical (cloned using Acronis True Image) from the original HDD C drive, and also with a fresh install of Windows 8.1 starting from scratch. (See computer specs below)
What follows is a lot of information, some of it might be relevant, some of it not. But I figure the more info you guys have to work with, the better.
The freshly installed Windows SSD initially worked okay, I loaded all the updates and a few programs including MS Office, Photoshop (and plugins) and my DAW (audio production) software Cakewalk’s Sonar. Again, things seemed to be running okay. I was able to use Photoshop and do some fairly resource intensive work (3D graphics, multiple layers, etc.) and continue to work without any signs of the computer slowing down for over an hour. I was also able to run some music software without any problems.
But when I plugged in the D drive which contains mostly audio production software, audio sample files, plugins and other files related to Audio production, including plugins for Sonar, the computer boots up right away, works fine for about 5 minutes and then programs start to hang, slowdown and eventually freeze. I sometimes can open Task Manager, but that won’t close the unresponsive open window and eventually the Task Manager itself will freeze.
All the open windows become unresponsive, unable to close, and attempting to open any new windows or software doesn’t work.
I know the D drive is okay, it’s been tested and has worked fine with the original HDD C drive.
But I don’t think the second drive is the problem because I’ve been experiencing the same types of freezes with just the C drive (SSD) installed, when I’m using Firefox or Internet Explorer to access the Internet, the computer will also slow down, hang and I’ll have to turn the power off to restart it. Also when I was looking at the Computer Management screen, that too eventually became unresponsive. So it’s not just the secondary (D Drive) that is causing the problem, having it connected just speeds up the slowdowns and freezes. It seems using only certain software like Photoshop (with the second drive disconnected), the SSD works without hanging.
I looked through the Events Log and found a few of entries that MAY or MAY NOT have anything to do with this problem, but I’ll list them just in case:
One Error message says, Source: Kernel Power, Event ID 137, The system Firmware has changed the processors memory type range registers (MTRR) across a sleep state transition (S5). This can result in reduced performance.
Another Event entry says: The following boot-start or system-start river did not load: “dam”
Also: a Warning entry: Source, disc, Event ID 51: Warning an error was detected on device \Device\HardDisk1\DE1 (That’s the D Drive) during a paging operation.
The Server (followed by a bunch of numbers) didn’t register with DCOM within the required timeout.
That’s about it for any critical or warning messages in the events log.
When I looked at the Computer Management window and selected Performance Monitor Control
I got the following message:
"Unable to add these counters:
Memory\% committed Bytes in use
Memory\ Cache Faults per second
Physical Disk\% idle time
Physical Disk\Avg disk Queue Length
Network Interface\Byte total per second"
Eventually this Performance Monitor Control window also became unresponsive (after about 5 minutes), again without the second drive connected.
And finally, when I attempt to update Windows (when it prompts me to do so), it will show the blue screen saying that it is downloading and installing updates, but then it will hang on "Restarting", and eventually I'll have to shut the power off.
Again, I don’t know if any of this information is related to the problem, but I tried to list everything out of the ordinary.
Here are my computer specs, including both the old and new drives:
CPU: AMD FX-8320 (8 Core) AM3+
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
RAM: Corsair 1600 16 GB DDR3
GRAPHICS CARD: GeForce GTX 680 - 2GB PCI Express 16X dual head, HDMI
Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 USB connected Audio/MIDI Interface
Rosewill Lightning 800 PSU
C DRIVE: (Original HDD: Seagate Barracuda 512.0 GB) New SSD: Crucial MX 100, 512GB
D DRIVE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit