Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of David Bigelow
David BigelowFlag for United States of America

asked on

How can I get the inital subreport display on the report to shrink, like it does for the rest of the report?

When I run my report, there is the same subreport displayed for each section. It is a list of skills taught in the class. The first class skills list always covers the first name of the student in the report in the screen report view. I've tried resizing the subreport, setting the shrink and grow to Yes, taking out and putting items back in, all to no resolution. I've put the report and base queries in my sample database, which, wouldn't you know it, doesn't replicate the problem. But maybe you can look at it to see what might cause the problem. I've included a screen shot so you can see what the display error looks like.

The report is the Class Roster Report and the query is the Class Roster query
Class-Roster.PNG
Sample-Training-Database-2015-01-12--2-.
SOLUTION
Avatar of Jeffrey Coachman
Jeffrey Coachman
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Avatar of David Bigelow

ASKER

When I try to move the database objects, I am getting the error, "The database has been placed in a state by user 'Admin' on machine (it gives my system number) that prevents it from being opened or locked."

I've never had that problem when moving objects to another database: for example, for testing purposes before implementing an object or code.

I am considering applying this fix for that: http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?1605962-DBForums-Code-Bank&p=6274786#post6274786.

Your thoughts?
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Here's what I've done so far:
1. Exported the objects (query and report for Class Roster and subreport for Class Skills) into database backups, working back until the report opened correctly (December 15, 2014, I tested about once per week in my list of backups).
2. Split that database into a backend. It still worked.
3. Linked the old backup to the current data tables - report opened incorrectly. (looks like a corrupted table is the problem)
4. I did Compile the frontend side of the database. Somewhere in the middle of all that.
5. To test whether the compile made a difference, I compiled the current database, first.
6. Next, I moved the Roster objects to a working database with older tables. The Roster report worked.
7. Then I linked that database to the current tables, and the roster report did not open correctly.

I've attached a sample database and sample error. Where the report box border breaks up in the sample error, it is covering an employee's name. I've not allowed the screenshot to capture the full name of the employee listed below that covered up name.

The exact object names involved are:
qry_Class_Roster
rpt_Class_Roster
rsub_Class_Skills subreport             (I see there's a space in that name. Does that matter?)

Any other options before I have to re-enter data?
Sample.accdb
SampleError.PNG
I am not getting the same screen as you...
This is what I get when I open the report:
User generated image
Yes, that's right. Same table names with different data. I'm thinking that the current tables with the real data may have been corrupted. So, it looks like the objects are in good working order, but the data being accessed is corrupt in the current tables. I didn't want to post those tables with the confidential employee data. But, now that you mention that, I'm thinking to change the link of the Skills table (that's the source of the subreport that isn't displaying correctly), to reference the old working backup, leaving the other tables with the current database, and see if that doesn't solve it. That would be easier to update than all the employee training records.
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
I've just found the primary culprit. The Class title field was set to grow. When it did, it pushed down the Class Skills list, which caused that list to cross over a name. I adjusted the class name field size and moved the class list down, giving the class name room to grow; now the report is fine. I figured all that out when I did all the above fixes and the class skills list again started crossing over the names list. That's when I realized the class name field size had grown to a second line, unlike the rest of the shorter class names in the rest of the report.
I'm up and operational again, without the report error. Thanks for your help!
Glad you got it working