Dreamweaver template not applying correct link paths

I have created a template in Dreamweaver CC 2014 Mac and set up the Site to use site root paths. the paths in the template are correct, but when applied to a page, the paths are absolute to the local drive. I tried changing the page the template is applied to but the same problem.

A path in the template: <li><a href="../../contact.htm">Contact Us</a></li>

Path after template applied: <li><a href="file:///iMac%20Office%20HD/%20ALL%20CLIENTS/AB%20MOVING/AB%20Moving%20Web%20Site/backup-abmoving.com-2-19-2015/contact.htm">Contact Us</a></li>
weknowjackAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Dejan VasiljevicSys Admin and ProgrammerCommented:
Hi weknowjack,

From a href i assume that Your path (from what I can see) is located on Your iMac (so it is local). You need to upload files to the machine which is hosting Your site(all files) an then create a path in template which will use new path (which is located on Your server). You can do it either with FTP from CPanel, or with FileZila or etc.

Thanks,
D.
0
weknowjackAuthor Commented:
The files were loaded to the server and that is when I discovered the problem. The files are edited on my local machine as I have always done, and then re-loaded to the server. Unless something with DW has changed, that should work. This appears to be something related to DW on my machine.
0
Dejan VasiljevicSys Admin and ProgrammerCommented:
Well that is what I've said. If they are loaded to the server, You need to upload page to the server, and change the path to location on server itself.
0
Exploring SQL Server 2016: Fundamentals

Learn the fundamentals of Microsoft SQL Server, a relational database management system that stores and retrieves data when requested by other software applications.

Jason C. LevineDon't talk to me.Commented:
Dejan: No, you shouldn't have to do that.  

Weknowjack, have you checked the site definition to see if all of the local and remote paths and addresses are set correctly?
0
weknowjackAuthor Commented:
Yes, Jason. I am attaching a shot of the settings. I have always done this the same way.
0
weknowjackAuthor Commented:
Site setup
0
weknowjackAuthor Commented:
I attached a file but I don't see it, so let me know if you don't.
0
Jason C. LevineDon't talk to me.Commented:
No, the attachment isn't making it.  Can you upload it to your server and provide a link if the attachment function here isn't working?
0
weknowjackAuthor Commented:
0
weknowjackAuthor Commented:
It's there now.
0
Jason C. LevineDon't talk to me.Commented:
Okay, first off it looks like there are spaces at the start of the path.  Remove those.

Second, what are the remote server settings?

Also, are you uploading through Dreamweaver or through an external FTP program?
0
weknowjackAuthor Commented:
External FTP. I don't find any spaces in the paths in the template. The paths start with ../ (dot dot slash). There was one incorrect path and I fixed that. The paths in the page were generated by the template. I have never used the remote server settings.
0
weknowjackAuthor Commented:
I went ahead and entered the server info and reapplied the template. Nothing improved.
0
Jason C. LevineDon't talk to me.Commented:
I would have to see each setup screen to troubleshoot this but my suspicion is something is misconfigured.  

Generally, Dreamweaver always writes relative paths into links.  When it doesn't, it's because it can't figure out what path to use, so it writes a local absolute.
0
weknowjackAuthor Commented:
Ok. Fixed.

I unattached the page I that had the local links.
I fixed the links manually
From that, I created a new template and applied it to the existing page
It worked.

Thanks for your time and help.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
weknowjackAuthor Commented:
Should have done this hours ago.
0
Dejan VasiljevicSys Admin and ProgrammerCommented:
As I said, the links were linking to local part... That is the problem, and You've needed to change it manually, as I said in the first post...
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Adobe Dreamweaver

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.