QuickBooks 2007

I would like to record donations I gave last year in QuickBooks. I have 5 receipts of 5 diff. places I donated my time and money. How should I input these so they are included in the Profits & Lost report?

jsarinanaI.T. ManagerAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
Make an income account in QuickBooks, record the income with location details (or use sub accounts). Then issue receipts outside of QuickBooks for Tax purposes. That will get the income into your operating statement.
jsarinanaI.T. ManagerAuthor Commented:
I'm pretty bad with accounting, do I make an account for donating? then I add these 5 expenses?
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
In QuickBooks, go to Lists, Account List and open the account list window. By menu or (I think) right click within the account list, select New Account. Use the Income type, give it an account number if you use numbers. Give it a Description and say OK.

This gives you a new account.

Donations are income and from your first post, I do not think you have expenses, but please clarify if I am incorrect.

There is no cash, so it is non-cash income and you will have to figure out the other side of the entry. You will need to ask your accountant about this.
OWASP: Avoiding Hacker Tricks

Learn to build secure applications from the mindset of the hacker and avoid being exploited.

jsarinanaI.T. ManagerAuthor Commented:
I gave free service and also donated money, I file this as income?
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
The money donated is income, yes.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
jsarinanaI.T. ManagerAuthor Commented:
I ended up having my tax person help me with this
JohnBusiness Consultant (Owner)Commented:
@jsarinana  - Thanks for the update and I was happy to help.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.