I have set up a virtual lab of windows server 2012 and windows 8 clients.
Unfortunately I took a wrong turn right at the start of setting this up. I chose an internal domain name that matched my external domain name. So my external website is www.mydomain.co.uk
and my internal AD domain is mydomain.co.uk.
The problem is that I cannot access my website from the internal client PCs and servers. I'm presuming this is because I have a matching zone internally.
I also presume I could add a new A Record to my internal DNS zone (www) pointing to my websites IP address.
However I decided that I should try to rename my domain to ad.mydomain.co.uk.
I followed this guide, which seem to be successful at every step.
I now have a renamed domain but still cannot access my website. Im guessing that this is because the old zone still exists in DNS.
If I delete that zone I can then access my website but I then start to have problems adding client PCs to the newly named domain.