Sharepoint users unable to search AD

So I've been asked to setup SharePoint, which went just fine (as far as I can tell).  
I have a simple task application I've added to a site collection,  When trying to "Assign To" it populates the users to select and link with active directory.  The problem is that this only works for the Owner (sharepoint-owner.png),  The Group Members cannot populate this information (sharepoint-user.png)

users in the group  have "edit" permission to the entire site,  what piece am I missing!


SharePoint 2013 on Server 2012R2  connecting to SQL 2012 on Server 2012R2
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

You can configure the 2013 people picker control to limit selection to a particular OU in a domain, or limit to site users only, however I'm not sure that would give the behaviour you have reported (see reference here to check for yourself:

Your problem may be something with the User Profile Service not being properly configured.   This syncs with AD to provide a copy of AD within Sharepoint.  When not available, SharePoint checks AD directly (which often means people don't even realise this service is not configured until something odd happens).  This process relies on many permissions being configured correctly, and can be quite a weak spot. Have a look at this:  

I still can't see why this would work for owners and not members, so:
First step: ensure EVERYTHING is patched to current patch level, including domain controllers.

Then check Central Admin to see this service is configure, working, and has imported AD from your domain.
Check the ULS logs and look for problems with the User Profile Service, or any other "permission denied" errors.

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
DeltaMNAuthor Commented:
Thank You Colly,

That link got me on the right path, in all my searching prior to on this forum, "people picker" wasn't anywhere in sight.   I ended up getting it to work with this command from powershell

stsadm -o setproperty -pn peoplepicker-searchadcustomfilter -pv "(&(objectCategory=person)(objectClass=user)(!userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2))"  -url http://servername   

(servername was my working server url)

Now all of my users across all sites can search by typing in the first 3 characters.
Thanks for posting the answer you found that is new to me - that is a very interesting command you had to run!  SharePoint is great,  but it can drive you absolutely crazy!
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft SharePoint

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.