I need to upgrade my 2 domain controllers from 2003 to 2012R2 functionality but I have an Exchange server 2010 server running on a member server.
My current dedicated domain controllers are each on physical boxes but I plan to install 2 new virtualized servers running 2012 R2 and migrate roles to those virtuals. My Exchange 2010 is on a separate physical dedicated 2003 server. I'd like to not have to touch it immediately if I don't have to so I can do this work in phases.
What will I likely run into? What will be my step order for best chance of success with this? Below is what I plan, but let me know if I am missing anything or going astray:
1) Install 2012R2 on 2 virtual machines
2) join to the domain
3) add directory services and DHCP,DNS
4) authorize DHCP and turn DHCP off on old servers
5) reconfigure DHCP to point DNS to the 2 new IP addresses for DNS on the new servers
6) Verify replication
7) Migrate FSMO roles to new primary DC
8) Turn off old DC's and wait a month or so before removing from domain just in case
Thanks for any help you can provide.