We help IT Professionals succeed at work.

Corrupt PDF scans with new Savin multifunction; scan to folder

I just replaced an old Savin multifunction with a new one. Virtually the same machine; used same IP address. Scan to email works fine. Scan to network folder [on file server] is a different story. The machine shows it trying to scan. File server shows the pdf but can't open it; corrupt, etc.  I can ping the server from machine. Next step is to upgrade firmware but I’m not convinced it will work.
Comment
Watch Question

Commented:
Things to try

change username/password (in the scan to network folder setup), either a higher or lower user (test both)

share another folder on a simple PC, test again. Same corruption ?

Try another method (like FTP, use Filezilla FTP server on any PC to test).

My guess is it won't work (though maybe the FTP works). If it works on another network folder, look at your server (check user permissions/antivirus etc). If it won't work on any network folder, it's the device itself (replace device, or try firmware upgrade). If FTP work, you have a temporary solution.
Have you tried another PDF reader? I use PDF-XChange Viewer

Have you checked permissions on the files?

Author

Commented:
I've tried just about everything noted above. It's not the PDF reader and the permissions are fine. I'm beginning to think that the address book from the old machine became corrupt when it was installed on the new one. I'll update again once we try some other things.

Author

Commented:
So...our vendor replaced the unit and we're still having the same problems. What we did discover is that it WILL scan to a network folder on a server running Windows Server 2008...but not to Server 2003. We're using SMB; I'm not sure what else they can tweak.

Commented:
Easiest and fastest solution, as I said, use FTP, it's free, it's simple. It's still probably something to do with the firmware, but it doesn't matter, waiting for a new firmware might take long (if you can even get them to check it for you)
New server running 2012 R2 resolved the problem; for some reason the new multifunction and the old server OS [2003] did not get along

Author

Commented:
finally resolved through trial and error