Volume Licensing

I am building 12 windows 2012 servers  in state enterprise department.

I asked licenses for application like Dynamics CRM, BizTalk, Inrule, SQL to be installed on these servers

they in turn asked me whether it is KMS or MAK Licenses I am looking for?

I am confused which type of licenses should I go for
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

James HIT DirectorCommented:
KMS - Key management Server license. This only applies if you have a KMS server managing the licensing for your Microsoft products. This is typical for Volume licensing for either Desktops, Office. There is no finite number of licenses this server can hand out.

MAK - Static keys from a contractual agreement with Microsoft. This key can be reused multiple times, however you must pay for each individual license (if audited by Microsoft).  This has a finite amount of licenses (typically 500) that can be activated.

I would assume you are looking for MAK keys and not KVM.
pramod1Author Commented:
I thought MAK can be used on or less than 25 pc ?

u are saying 500?
JAN PAKULAICT Infranstructure ManagerCommented:
you definitely want a MAK

as MAK is more advantageous than KMS. The former has a one-time, non-expiring activation. It doesn’t require frequent updates with product keys, thus better security from activation failure. The only downside would be its limited number of activation, wherein the quantity of clients that can be catered is dependent on the number of licenses purchased; thus, increasing the need to repurchase licenses over time. Conversely, KMS you have to reactivate every 6 months.


You will also need client licences for accessing windows server and SQL servers (separate things)


Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Microsoft Applications

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.